"I didn't know that was an official expo hat. I remember entering the same contest myself."
"I had to send in a million postcards to win that hat!"
"He he. No wonder I didn't win, I only sent in one."
— Misty and Ash
Japanese Title: Don't get angry, Okorizaru!
Original Airdate: September 16, 1997
US Airdate: October 9th, 1998On their way to Celadon City, our heroes encounter Mankey, a wild Pokémon that if rubbed the wrong way can go into uncontrollable fits. Not realizing its unpredictability, the party accidentally upsets Mankey. To make matters worse, Team Rocket arrives and an all out war is waged by Mankey, who evolves into a ferocious Primeape, against anyone in its path. Will Ash be able to add Mankey/Primeape to his ever growing collection of Pokémon without having to withstand Primeape's unrelenting wrath?
- #1 Dime: Ash's hat.
- Bullying a Dragon: Team Rocket was dumb enough to futilely attack Primeape.
- Cultural Translation: This wouldn't be the first or last time that rice balls were called doughnuts in the dub, but it is one of most (in)famous examples.
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: When Team Rocket confront an injured Ash and demand his Pikachu, Brock warns them they'd better vamoose pronto. It doesn't take long for them to figure out why.Ash: (battered and bruised, weakly) I'm having a major hat crisis. Could you try to steal Pikachu some other time?
Jessie: Now's the perfect time! You're obviously too pooped to protect your Pikachu.
Brock: If you guys don't get outta here fast, you're gonna get as whipped as Ash did!
Meowth: By who?
Brock: By Mankey!
Jessie: What's a Mankey?
James: I guess that thing I kicked outta the way.
Jessie & James: Huh? AAAH!
(They see Mankey growling menacingly at them as it slowly evolves into Primeape)
- Eye Catch: The Who's that Pokémon is Primeape.
- Face Fault: Poor Ash does this when he finds out that Gary and the other trainers have surpassed him by earning five badges.
- Kick the Dog: James literally does this to Mankey.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Mankey delivers one to Ash while stealing his hat. After evolving into Primeape and getting caught by Ash, it delivers one to Team Rocket—in their own Pit Trap.
- Oh, Crap!: Misty and Brock's reaction to James kicking Mankey.Brock: I wish he hadn't done that!
- Series Continuity Error: Oak tells Ash that Gary currently has 30 Pokemon. In "Mystery at the Lighthouse" he had 45 and surely would have caught more by now.
- Unstoppable Rage: Mankey once it evolves into Primeape.