It's time for Ash's Castelia Gym battle with Burgh and his Bug-types. Knowing that Burgh's Pokémon are tough, including his supposedly unbeatable Leavanny, will Ash be able to defeat Burgh with the help of his own Pokémon, including his new Sewaddle?
- Crazy-Prepared: Despite likely never having actually battled a Pikachu before, Burgh already has a way to counter Pikachu's speed. Knowing that a Pokémon with Pikachu's body type relies on its tail for balance, Burgh has Leavanny use String Shot to get its tail stuck to its body, throwing it off. Fortunately, Ash figures out a way to get Pikachu to break free.
- Oh, Crap!: Ash's Swadloon when it sees Leavanny's Hyper Beam barreling towards it.
- Reset Button: After missions in Unova are put on hold, Jessie and James switch their black outfits to their original white ones and the trio decides they're going to try to capture Pikachu and whatever other Pokemon they can find to use in service of their boss and the goal to take over Unova, partially returning to their comical role.
- Tastes Like Friendship: James catches a Yamask in this episode. It simply decides to join his team after he feeds it.
- Took a Level in Badass: Ash's Sewaddle evolves into Swadloon and learns Energy Ball. It even helps it score its second victory in a row against Burgh's Whirlipede. Unfortunately, this isn't enough to help it against Burgh's Leavanny.
- The Worf Effect: Tepig is the only Pokémon Ash has in his current active party that's strong against Bug-types, but it gets knocked out in the first round by Burgh's Dwebble thanks to its dual Rock typing and higher-than-normal speed.