- The point is, Winter, you quit too easy. Beartic still had a bit of fight left in him, but you chose to leave him at our mercy because things didnt go your way. Winter, youre not weak. All youve been through and here you are. I mean it when I say youre better than you think you are.—Heather, comforting Winter in the middle of her self-deprecation
In his chapter, Ash and Winter face off against Heather, the Permafrost Princess.
The chapter contains the following examples:
- Brick Joke: Winter was curious about the "Ashy-boy" nickname all the way back in Chapter 13. At the end of this one, she finally brings it up to Gary, leaving her Heather in stitches.
- Cast from Hit Points: This chapter introduces the move Glacial Break. It's an Ice-type variant of Flare Blitz.
- Cool Big Sis: Heather may be a Bunny-Ears Lawyer, but she's also one heck of a sister. She saw through Winter proving on a brave front and followed to the bathroom to comfort her. She gives the lecture that's the top quote as well as offering her a Mega Earring and a Mega Stone for her Shiric.
- Double Knockout: In Ash's and Winter's first Gym Battles with Heather, all but their final two Pokemon stalemate with Heather's. Pointed out by their friends in the stand, of course.
- Final-Exam Boss: Heather is something of one.Winter: Heather forces you to think on your toes and keep track of moves used in the heat of battle, all while passive moves like Perish Song, Hail, and Power-Up Punch put your back against the wall. And thats before she decides to outright overpower you.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Winter really wanted to beat Heather to convince herself doing so was a stepping stone in her career towards becoming Tenla Region Champion. When she ultimately loses, she spirals into a Heroic BSoD so hard that she covers up her disappointment in front of her friends. Excusing herself to the bathroom, she takes the moment to let it all out, convinced her lost proved she always was that weak.
- I Can Still Fight!: Ash's Gouzatile wanted to win to prove itself so much he's basically dragging himself towards the end of his fight with Shiric. He eventually collapses in spite of his determination.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Said word-for-word by Heather to Winter, the former trying to comfort the latter and make her realize how much she's progressed in spite of her flaws.