Directed by: Kirk Tingblad
Written by: David Fury & Elin Hampton
Air Date: Februrary 22, 1997
Previous: Brain of the Future
Next: Hoop Schemes
"Brinky" is the eleventh episode of the second season of Pinky and the Brain.
As part of a new scheme, Brain decides to clone himself and make thousands of him, with all of them working towards taking over the world. However, the creation of the prototype goes awry when one of Pinky's nail clippings gets into the cloning machine. With Brain treating it as an experiment while Pinky sees it as their son, the clone, Roman Numeral One, eventually develops his own personality and runs away.
- Baby's First Words: The Brain tries to get Roman Numeral One to speak and is confused at why he is not speaking in Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness due to being a clone of him (not realizing that Pinky interfered with the cloning process). He tries to teach Roman to say "neurofibromatosis", but Roman says "Narf!" instead.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Brain tells Pinky that Roman is a product of their combined DNA, he asks Pinky if he knows what that means. Rather than seeing that Brain's plan is messed up, Pinky realizes he's a mother.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?:
- Most of the dialogue during the cloning process is scripted like an actual birth: for example, when the door on the cloning machine won't close (which is the reason Pinky's DNA is even in there), The Brain tells Pinky to help him "push", complete with Pinky doing Lamaze breathing.
- At the end of the episode, when Brain vows once again to Take Over the World, Pinky begs "Not tonight, Brain, I have a headache".
- Dumbass Has a Point:
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!:Brain: My clone is a product of our merged DNA! Do you realize what this means?
Pinky: (gasps) I'm a mommy! (starts crying Tears of Joy) I'm a mommy!
Brain: Pinky, that's absurd! You are nothing of the kind. Its chromosomal makeup just happens to include both of our genetic building blo— AAAAAAH!! ...Oh my Lord, you are its mommy.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- After Brain realizes that Pinky is technically the clone's mother, Pinky goes to a phone and asks the operator for the number of "The La Leche League". La Leche League International is a non-profit organization that promotes breastfeeding.
- Then there's the ending:Pinky: Why Brain? What are we going to do tonight?
Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky... try to take over the world!
Pinky: Oh, not tonight, Brain... I have a headache!
- I Have No Son!: Parodied. When Roman abandons Brain's goal and leaves the lab, Brain claims he "has no clone". After the commercial break, however, he's surprisingly worried about Roman.
- Interspecies Romance: Much to Brain's shock, Roman ends up dating a human woman named Pat.
- "It" Is Dehumanizing: Brain refers to Romy as "it" for the first half of the episode, though he refers to him as "he" by the end.
- Let's Have Another Baby: Pinky at the end.
- Like an Old Married Couple: Pinky and Brain act like bickering parents in regards to Romy.
- Me's a Crowd: Brain's plan is to have an army of clones of himself to take over the world.
- Not Helping Your Case: In response to Pinky suggesting reading "Pat the Bunny" to Roman, Brain says it would disrupt his neural programming. Pinky dismisses it, saying he was raised on the story.Brain: (Beat) Sometimes you make it too easy for me, Pinky.
- Not Really a Birth Scene: How the scene with the cloning machine is played.
- Pain to the Ass: As Pinky discovered, the "secret location" Brain got his tissue sample from was underneath his tail.
- Patchwork Kids: Romy takes half of his features after the Brain and half after Pinky (most notably the teeth).
- Rule of Three: When Brain's attempts at educating Romy yield no resultsPinky: Well perhaps if you started with something less taxing to [Romy's] little brain, Brain... Brain.
- Say My Name: Upon learning Pinky's DNA ended up contaminating the experiment, along with seeing Roman sprout familiar buck teeth, a furious Brain shouts "PINKY!".
- Romy does a double one in this line.
- When Romy steps over to a bar, he tells the barkeep, "Hey, Don McLean. The levee is dry."
- The scene where Brain discovers what went wrong with Roman's creation is similar to The Fly (1986) when Seth Brundle realizes he's merged with a fly, complete with Brain saying the iconic "Be afraid. Be very afraid" when he sees that the foreign DNA came from Pinky. In addition, the cloning machine resembled a pair of teleporters.
- Take That!: When Brain speaks of cells to Pinky, who hasn't been paying attention.Brain: [My plan involves] the lowest, simplest, most elementary unit of life!
Pinky: Egad, Brain! Pauly Shore?
Brain: A valid guess, Pinky, but no.
- You Are Number 6: Brain calls his clone Roman Numeral One, as he's supposed to be the first of a clone army. Pinky insists on calling him Romy instead.