While on a second honeymoon in Scotland with her husband Frank Randall, former World War II nurse Claire Randall finds herself falling through time to the year 1743, where she is kidnapped by a band of Highlanders.
- Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder: Frank has a slight suspicion that Claire was unfaithful during their 5 years apart, but she denies it and is insulted by it. Even so, he claims it wouldn't bother him and he would understand considering the 5-year-separation.
- Chekhov's Gun: Early in the episode Frank points out Cocknammon Rock and mentions its history to Claire. Later when she's in the 18th century, this knowledge allows Claire to prevent the Highlanders from being slaughtered by the British in an ambush.
- Circle of Standing Stones: The site of the Portal to the Past.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Claire, once she finds herself in the 18th century.
- Foreshadowing: The tea leaves and hand reading suggests a couple of future scenarios.
- From Dress to Dressing: Claire rips off part of her dress to make a bandage for Jamie.
- Happily Married: Claire and Frank.
- Heal It with Booze: Claire uses alcohol to disinfected Jamie's bullet wound.
- Not His Blood: In the pilot, Jamie returns from a fight full of blood. Then this conversation happens:Gloria: You're hurt.Jamie: This lot isna my blood. (looks down on himself) Not much of it, anyway.
- Portal to the Past: The stones on Craigh na Dun.
- Slow-Motion Fall: A flashback to Claire being thrown about inside a car is shown in slow motion.
- Spiteful Spit: Claire spits on the soldier who is attempting to rape her.