"Tall Man With Feelings" is the eleventh episode of Season One of Orange Is the New Black. The inmates deal with the aftermath of Tricia's suicide, while the staff tries to cover up the incident. Bennett tries to convince Daya to apply for furlough to explain her pregnancy. Instead, Aleida and Red plot to pin the pregnancy on Mendez. Mendez and Bennett commiserate over drinks. Pennsatucky receives "treatment" in Psych. A flashback shows Piper and Alex' breakup. Larry's radio interview airs, much to the consternation (and joy) of the inmates.
This episode provides examples of the following tropes:
- Armor-Piercing Question: "Why does everybody call me Crazy Eyes?"
Alex: Did you know her (Tricia) better than you knew my mom?
- Alex to Piper:
Larry: Do you love her?
- Larry to Piper about Alex:
- Comfort Food: The term is used by Poussey. She comes up to the group of inmates who are holding an impromptu gathering and says "I thought y'all could use some comfort food." She then pulls several snacks (potato chips and candy) from under her shirt and the waistband of her pants.
- The party also includes a Libation for the Dead.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Mendez: "I don't know what sudoku means in Japanese but I find it a little bit odd that it came out right before 9/11".
- Didn't Think This Through: Piper didn't think that everyone would hear Larry's talk show and turn on her, at the same time that Pennsatucky gets out of the asylum.
- Dude, Not Funny!: An in-universe example: when Chapman complains about the Christmas lights, Luschek asks if she's in a hurry to hang herself with them. It does not go over well.
- Dysfunctional Family: Another example of Piper's: "My family got drunk and yelled at each other, then pretended nothing happened."
- My God, What Have I Done?: Piper has this reaction after Suzanne describes the psych ward, where she has managed to get Pennsatucky consigned. She also has this reaction after hearing Larry's radio speech.
- The Mentally Disturbed: Pennsatucky. Also discussed with Suzanne's disorder. "Nobody comes back from Psych, except me."
- Kick the Dog: In a flashback of their breakup, Piper still walks out on Alex even after the former tells her that her mother Diane died of an aneurysm.
- Oh, Crap!: Piper, when she finds out Larry knows about her affair, Pennsatucky gets out of the asylum, all the inmates turn on her and one of the inmates confronts her about the nasty things Piper said about them.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Diaz vomits in the sink due to her pregnancy.
- Wham Line: Larry's whole radio talk show changes Piper's relationships with the inmates and they turn on her.Larry: Suppose...that someone she loved was in there with her. Someone she had history with. Someone who could understand her life in there in a way I'll never be able to. It would be devastating to think that the person could give her something I can't. It would be a betrayal.Piper: He knows.
Larry: She named you, you know? She's the whole fucking reason you're in there. How does it feel to be in love with the woman who ruined our lives?
- Also, Larry's reveal to Piper that it was Alex who got Piper into prison.