"Blood Donut" is the seventh episode of Season One of Orange Is the New Black.
Watson is released from the SHU, where she was sent in "Imaginary Enemies", and Piper later confesses to misplacing the screwdriver. Through flashbacks, we see Watson's story as a promising track star. Chapman, for her part, attempts to take her WAC duties seriously, petitioning for the track to be re-opened. Healy agrees to do so only if she tracks down the source of the poon pictures currently giving the COs nightmares. Chapman does, but ultimately decides not to snitch on the phone's owner, causing Healy to rescind his offer. Instead, she convinces Susan Fischer, the new C.O., to take on the duty, and Watson gets her freedom to run again.
This episode provides examples of the following tropes:
- Air-Vent Passageway: Piper and Watson have to crawl around in the vents to fix the wiring.
- A Day in the Limelight: Watson's back story. She was a champion runner with a shot at the Olympics, until she became involved in a robbery.
- Armor-Piercing Question: Watson to Jones. "Did you kill a kid?"
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Jones' response.
- Foreshadowing: Pennsatucky asks Chapman to help her get new teeth.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: Watson in her youth. From her childhood Precocious Crush to her inability to gain male attention as a track star, culminating in her boyfriend being a robber and a gangster and who landed her in prison.
- No Guy Wants an Amazon: Watson's fate.
- Not So Different: Non-villainous example in Fischer and Chapman. Susan acknowledges that while she's been luckier than Piper (in that she was never caught), they are not fundamentally different, and doesn't think of Piper as inferior somehow.
- Shout-Out: To Titanic (1997), Regina King, and Fifty Shades of Grey.
- Wild Teen Party: Watson attends one in the flashback. Three-D tells her to leave because she's too good to slip into that kind of life.