Film watched: ZaAt aka The Blood Waters of Dr Z
Tropes present in the MST3K presentation include:
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle: When Leopold watches two people kissing in a house, he turns towards the camera, provoking this riff:Mike: This is Fish Man, reminding you folks at home to enjoy sex, responsibly.
- Berserk Button: Overlapping with Never Say That Again.Mike: Tom, you sing Jerry Reed one more time and I'll crush you into a fine powder.
- Big Damn Heroes: Wished for by Crow: "Suddenly, her Volkswagon comes crashing through the wall, her dog at the wheel "
- Continuity Nod: Once again Servo's singing annoys Mike. This time he does a little Ragin' Cajun Jerry Reed.
- A Date with Rosie Palms:
- As Dr. Z strips down and sets up his equipment at the beginning:Servo: I need to simplify my masturbation ritual.
- When one of the characters sits in a chair with a fishing rod:Servo: Typical male: Sittin' in a chair, playing with his rod.
- As Dr. Z strips down and sets up his equipment at the beginning:
- Deep South: Crow sings "I'm glad I'm not in Dixie! Hurray! Hurray!"note after the Sheriff has the unfortunate habit of calling a black man "boy".
- Fan Disservice:
- Tom and Crow have Prof. Bobo and Brain Guynote perform a scene from Glengarry Glen Ross in the nudenote to prove their point that nudity makes any movie scene better. Mike then points out to the robots that they probably should've specified female nudity. So then the 'Bots suggest asking to see Pearl nude...Mike: No! She'll kill us.
- In-Universe, this is Mike and the 'Bots reaction to seeing Dr. Leopold in his boxer shorts as he prepares the transformation process.
- Tom and Crow have Prof. Bobo and Brain Guynote perform a scene from Glengarry Glen Ross in the nudenote to prove their point that nudity makes any movie scene better. Mike then points out to the robots that they probably should've specified female nudity. So then the 'Bots suggest asking to see Pearl nude...
- Mondegreen: Invoked. Early in the film, Mike and the bots mishear "sargassum" as "sarcasm".
- No Theme Tune: The movie's title card contains no music, prompting Crow to ask: "Uh, theme music? Anything you want to throw in at this point?" The actual credits and theme music ("Sashay Through the Sargassum", AKA "Planning Revenge on my Friends") start up a few minutes later.
- ...Or So I Heard: When two characters kiss:Servo: The music's swinging into porn-style soundtrack now. Not that I've ever seen one, so I don't really know.
- Seinfeldian Conversation: At one point Tom Servo makes a joke about baseball player Catfish Hunter, only for Mike and Crow to claim that the man's name was changed to Catfish Chapstick (based on a Chapstick commercial Hunter did in the 70s). (All while nothing actually happens in the movie.)
- Sex Sells: When a woman in a bikini swims in the lake:Servo: I like this film now.
Crow: Goes without saying.
- Shout-Out: "Once I get Herbie out of the way, she'll be mine!"
- Take Over the World: One host segment has Crow parody Leopold's opening narration, raspy voice and all,, but focusing on shoes instead of fish (as Mike is trying to polish his shoes). He also turns out to have wedged himself into the bulkhead.Crow: They think I'm insane. They're the ones who are insane! Soon, there will be shoes the size they've never seen before, who... who... like human flesh! And then at just the right moment... ATTACK!
Mike: Crow, come on down from there.
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: Parodied. Pearl, as part of her Evil Cannot Comprehend Good, Card-Carrying Villain status (quite literally, since she's still trying to join the Institute of Mad Science), can't actually remember what love is.Pearl: Love, love, love... Is that where you find the least common denominator and then add the numerators?
Observer: ...Er, no, that would be adding fractions, I'm afraid.
- Withholding the Cure: Pearl has Brain Guy send up "Pearl's Love Stuff" (including, among other things, a staple remover and twelve electric hotpads), which has a powerful immediate effect on Crow... so that she can test the effects of then removing said love.Crow: Ahh! No love! Love is gone! [whimpering] So lost! Feeling panicky! No sense of self! Developing stress disorder and inability to work with others...!
Mike: Pearl! Please, stop torturing Crow! Give us your love back! Please!
Crow: Whe-e-ere is love?!
- Yank the Dog's Chain: As Martha walks into the ocean at the end of the movie, the 'bots look forward to seeing a "wet, clingy dress." And then the camera pulls back.Crow: No, movie, don't!