Film watched: Clonus aka Parts: The Clonus Horror
Reportedly, director Robert Fiveson wasn't too thrilled about getting MSTed until he saw the riffing of the scene where smoke seems to be emanating from Richard's nether regions as he shares a post-coital campfire cuddle with Lena:
Tom: Only you can prevent groin fires.
Crow: She really was on top of Old Smokey, huh?
He was also very thankful when he was alerted by MSTies that The Island was a ripoff of his film, which resulted in a very generous out-of-court settlement.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation has examples of:
- Actually Pretty Funny: This was Robert Fiveson's reaction to the "smoking crotch" scene.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: As Richard reads through a bunch of secret files, Mike lists off a number of different conspiracies: black helicopters, Roswell, Area 51, Waco, and... the formula for Coca-Cola.
- Brain Bleach:
- Old Richard's son getting out of the pool and walking his wet, speedoed batch right in front of the waist-high camera didn't do Mike and the Bots any favors. Mike: No... no, don—AUGH! We found it, this is the horror!
Servo: Gah, stop it! What've we ever done to you?
- When both Richards pull up their shirts to reveal they have the same birthmark, Mike and the 'bots scream.Mike: As if this movie wasn't horrible enough!
- Old Richard's son getting out of the pool and walking his wet, speedoed batch right in front of the waist-high camera didn't do Mike and the Bots any favors.
- Cowboy Cop: Spoofed; over a shot of Clone!Richard running through sterile white hallways: "He's a nurse's aide, who doesn't play by the rules!"
- Credits Gag: As the credits roll, Mike and the 'bots do Biography riffs about the cast and crew, including Peter Graves himself."Peter Graves, the underpaid, underrated, incredibly handsome host of Biography tonight on... Biography."
- Creepy Child: The Evil Space Children who cause trouble for Pearl and the gang.
- Downer Ending: Discussed.Crow: Y'know, this doesn't look like it's headed towards a happy ending.
Mike: Y'know, any ending would make me happier than I've ever been.
Crow: That's true.
- Excited Kids' Show Host:
- Mike Nelson, in one of the skits, dons a sequined silver tank top and shorts, dances around, and babbles in Gratuitous Spanish. "Signal de cine!"
- Earlier in the skit, Crow and Servo did this in a more traditional way. "Today we learned A and 3! Today we learned A and 3!"
- Funny Background Event: In one of the host segments, Bobo is given a Groin Attack in the background.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The broadcast didn't censor any of the frozen bagged clones in the beginning, resulting in a few shots of naked female breasts on MST3K.
- Groin Attack: Bobo is on the receiving of this (repeatedly). "Tante Bobo needs to go see Uncle Reconstructive Urologist."
- Informed Attractiveness: It's all subjective, but Mike, Crow and Servo seem to agree that Clone!Richard isn't an especially handsome fella.
- Perpetual Frowner: Clone!Richard. Lampshaded, as he is recaptured.
- Psychic Powers: The Evil Space Children
- Rooting for the Empire: In-Universe, as Clone Richard is ambushed back at Clonus and kicked in the stomach.Crow: And they expect the audience to feel bad about this, I guess?
- Running Gag: Lots:
- Every time characters in the film mention "America", Mike and the bots sing "Today!" à la the Neil Diamond song.
- The Groin Attack in the skits.
- Gags about Lena's nose.
- Bang "Ow." Bang "Ow!" Bang "Ow." Bang, ricocheting noises "Ow."
- References to Peter Graves' role as the host of Biography.
- References to Dick Sargent's role as the Other Darrin
- One scientist's resemblance to Mario.
- "Parts: the X Horror"
- A brief one: The guys are greatly amused by Clone!George's Mathematician's Answer ("I'm going to America!" "That's great, when?" "Later on!") and keep the joke going for a little while.Richard: [to Lena} Where do you live?
Mike (as Lena): Later on.
- Shout-Out: The Space Children use the same hand gestures to work their powers as the possessed children in the Star Trek: The Original Series episode "And the Children Shall Lead".
- And The Space Children is the name of a movie they would riff on about a year later.
- When Pearl begs Mike to set up an impromptu TV show to entertain the children, he quotes Belloq's opening speech from Raiders of the Lost Ark word for word. It Makes Sense in Context. Sort of.
- When Ricky pins clone!Richard against the car for an extended period of time (see below), Mike says "Why don't you kiss him instead of holding him to death?
- "This is really less The Naked City than it is the Clothing-Optional City."
- When Richard is rummaging through the office looking for clues: "So we HAVEN'T always been at war with Eurasia!"
- "Watch. He'll run into Chauncey Gardiner coming the other way."
- "No one's guarding MY father!"
- "Are you one of them pre-verts?"
- When a character uses an Air-Vent Passageway, they quip that he might run into Bruce Willis.
- Sibling Rivalry: As the Knight brothers fight.Servo: "Boys, not in the house."
Crow: Y'know, this is about a lot more than super-secret government clone projects.
Servo: "James Arness: Ugly and Stupid". Tonight on Biography.
- Also referenced in regards to Peter Graves himself.
- Something Else Also Rises: When Clone Richard runs out of Richard's house and Ricky pins him against the car for a long time.Crow (as clone!Richard): I can feel my little Clonus stirring.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: To try to put the Space Children down for a bit, Servo composes a beautiful lullaby...set to a bombastic march.
- Story Arc: The coming of the Space Children. Pearl will spend the next episode dropping them off with their parents, leaving Bobo and Observer unattended until the end of the episode after that.
- Stunned Silence: Mike's reaction to Crow's nosejob at the end of the movie.
- Take That!: In the film, when Clone Richard goes in the "Confessional" booth and asks it what the letters on the beer can he found — "M-I-L-W-A-U-K-E-E" — spell...Servo: (robotic voice) IT SPELLS TWO-NINETY-NINE A CASE.
Mike: This might the most interest anyone has ever shown in Milwaukee.
- And again, when Clone Richard is still researching the topic:
- The Talk: The Evil Space Children ask The Question, treating us to a montage of the villains' attempts to explain it. Brain Guy's response is a surprisingly poetic exploration of love, before he dismisses the emotion as unnecessary; Pearl begins a rambling, bitter story about her own failed relationships; and Bobo's advice is...questionable, given it deals with ape-man mating rituals. "You're gonna get kicked in the face, that's always part of it... grab one leg and hold on tight!"
- The Unfavorite:
- Mike and the Bots joke that Clone-Richard sees Original-Richard as his father and is this to him."Do you love me, Clone Daddy?"
- During the Biography gag during the end credits, they eventually turn James Arness into this. "Peter Graves' mother could be heard to say that she loved her son Peter Graves very much; however, she loathed James Arness and cursed the day that her womb had been blighted with such a creature!"
- Mike and the Bots joke that Clone-Richard sees Original-Richard as his father and is this to him.