Film watched: I Was a Teenage Werewolf
The MST3K presentation provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Mike and the 'bots sing a number of riffs to the tune of the Bonanza theme song.Tom Servo: This is for your bed-wetting movie!
- Aesop Amnesia: Joked about by Mike — during the party scene, the kids blunder into three separate and consecutive pranks (all with exactly the same obvious kind of set-up), even right after laughing at the previous one.Mike: ...So no one has any accumulated memory or experience?
- Air-Vent Passageway: Tom attempts to go up one of these to fight an alien. He gets stuck in there and his enthusiastic bravado fades out in an instant.
- Mind you, Crow saw this coming and made a bet with Mike on how long before Tom cries. (It takes at least 30 seconds for poor Servo to break.)
- Aluminum Christmas Trees: When Dr. Whit Bissell orders his assistant to prepare the scopolamine, Crow says "Prepare the made up thing". No, that's a real medication.
- Big "WHY?!": Mike can't help but give one when Arlene declares her love for Tony, her violent and emotionally abusive dick of a boyfriend:Arlene: "The truth is, I like Tony. *sighs fondly* ...I like him a lot."Mike: "WHY?!"
- Call-Back: When Tony comes home and sees his rather familiar-looking father:Crow: Hey, it's depressing dad!Servo: I haven't killed myself yet, son!
- Continuity Nod: More references to Servo's adventures at the edge of the universe. He claims to be a seasoned soldier now, although he doesn't get Mike's reference to grenades as pineapples and still comes back crying after less than a minute off hunting aliens in the dark. Same old Tom.Tom: How many people have YOU killed?
- Bonus nod: this being the episode right after Mike blew up the Observer planet, when Mike shrugs and sheepishly answers "Well, I don't know...", it's because it's an astronomically high number.
- Curse of the Ancients: While the search party/posse traipses through the woods: "Consarnit!" "Dadgummit!" "Son of a biscuit!" "Dagnabbit!" "H-E-double toothpicks!" "Great Caesar's ghost!"
- Dawson Casting: Mentioned in universe, one of the "teenagers" looks like he's well into his 30's.Servo: This is a job for Old Teen!
- Designated Victim: The S.O.L. crew lampshade this constantly, especially with a male teen who takes the... ahem "scenic" way home.Boy: I'll take that shortcut through the woods.
Servo: DINGDINGDINGDINGDING! VICTIM!
Crow: So this guy's shortcut home is through the Carpathian Mountains.
Crow: (as boy) I'm probably pretty tasty and well-marbled. Not something I've often thought of.
Servo: I Was a Teenage Werewolf Snack.
Mike: A textbook example of "the weak one of the herd."... Bet you anything when he gets chased, his heel breaks, his skirt is too short to run in...
- Ghost Story: Pearl tells a particularly lame one about a little ape who never did what he was told to Bobo and Observer in the final segment. Bobo is predictably terrified, but Observer isn't particularly impressed... until Pearl tells the one about the little boy who carried his brain around in a bowl, leaving them both cowering under a blanket.Pearl: One time they mashed up his brain into hummus and the little gorilla ate it and it was poison and he DIED!! [Evil Laugh]
- Godzilla Threshold: This is how Mike and the Bots view Mike's transformation into Adam Duritz of Counting Crows, when all other attempts at repelling the alien queen have failed.
- I Call It "Vera": Tom has a neutron machine pistol called "Lucille". He also has a tiny problem with trigger discipline.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Parodied.Servo: Ladies and gentlemen... And Gypsy. And Crow. And Mike... And Servo.
- Public Domain Soundtrack: Observer seems to be playing a very slow rendition of Amazing Freaking Grace on his harmonica in the background of the first camping scene.
- Running Gag:
- Tony's dairy-throwing antics.Crow: (as Tony) I gotta throw ricotta at a stockboy.
- Various riffs about Tony being a werewolf/dog, before the transformation.
- Not a running gag in the episode itself, but Servo makes the quip: 'You get a lot of dirt with werewolf, you get a lot of clean with Tide.' It would later be used in Season 9 in the next werewolf movie... namely, uh, Werewolf.
- Constant references to Landon's later roles on Bonanza, Little House on the Prairie and Highway to Heaven.Crow: (singing) It's all right if I kill a couple kids, Bonanza!
- Incorporating lines from the song "Werewolves of London."Servo: You are not drinking a pina colada at Trader Vics, young man, youre just not old enough!
- Tony's dairy-throwing antics.
- Shout-Out: "Sock hop of the damned." ...over the line of teens just staring blankly as the camera pans over them.
- Speech-Impaired Animal: "Rello? Reenage Rererolf."
- Take That!: In order to get rid of the Alien Queen, Mike becomes the most repulsive person he can think of: Adam Duritz.
- Take That, Scrappy!: Invoked. When the ever-annoying Vic surprises Tony by blowing a loud toy trumpet into his ear, Tony immediately begins whaling on him, to the delight of Tom.Servo: Ah-ha, the exact moment Michael Landon became beloved by America!
- Waxing Lyrical: "That was the needle. The damage is done."
- What's a Henway?: During the autopsy of one of Werewolf Tony's first victims:Police Coroner: ...Fangs.
Police Detective: Fangs?!?
Servo: You're welcome! (Laughs hysterically)
(later in the same scene:)
Coroner: [...]But I still say, fangs!
Mike: And I still say, "you're welcome!" (chuckles sensibly)
- Whole Plot Reference: The host segments all parody the movie Alien.
- X Days Since: During an establishing shot of the high school, Crow quips "Ten days since last teen pregnancy."