Film watched: Kitten With a Whip
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation contains these tropes:
- Advertised Extra: In-universe, the guys get a LOT of mileage out of the inclusion of Doodles Weaver, while he's in the film itself for all of ten seconds playing the kids' show host "Salty Sam" and billed next-to-last in the credits.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Riffing on the title:
- Berserk Button: "You turned off Doodles Weaver!"
- Fake Shemp:
- Crow gets into Deep 13 and runs into Dr. Forrester. But since the same actor plays both (which including puppeteering Crow), Forrester is only shown from the waist down so he could be played by a different actor.
- Lampshaded in the Poopie tape, with Trace popping his head into the shot, with the double, and says, "Hi, I'm not in this."
- Lame Pun Reaction: When Mike goes off-script and whispers an improvised joke ("there's the lattice for the salad bar"), Servo quietly chides him with "Boo!" and Crow mutters "I'll bite you", which causes Mike to chuckle even more.
- Lyrical Dissonance: When the characters visit a strip club, Servo adds lyrics to the background music:Servo: (in Louie Armstrong-esque voice) Jesus loves me, this I know / For the Bible tells me so!
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Dr. Forrester during the first segment where Crow escapes the Satellite of Love - with Mike's help — and attempts to find a way to break out Mike and Servo. Crow merely running into him is enough to send him crying in panic back to the SOL.
- Off-Model: The collapsible version of Crow, who's folded into a torpedo for Umbilicus infiltration, doesn't have moving eyes, giving him an Uncanny Valley stare.
- Running Gag:
- Every time the name "Cathy" was mentioned, one of the guys would say "she just tried on a bathing suit and went 'ACK!'"
- The main character's stoic attitude quickly gets labelled as blandness.note Servo: Look at camera, pay no attention, stay bland, must stay bland!
- An actual kitten with a whip (Kevin in an anthropomorphic costume) shows up in Segment 3. He becomes a recurring character, showing up again in San Francisco International and the Turkey Day segments of Night of the Blood Beast.
- "Weird Al" Effect (in-universe) in action: "I always thought it was Ann-Margrock."
- "The hottest Garfield episode ever!"
- "One ring to rule them all and in the darkness bind them."
- When the Sexophone kicks in, Crow asks if Johnny Hodges is in the house.
- Take That!:Stratton: "On second thought, it wasn't funny at all."
Crow: "Oh, Adam Sandler."
- They Killed Kenny Again: TV's Frank gets beaten to death by louisville sluggers while dressed up like a pinata.
- Visual Pun: Kevin Murphy is a literal Kitten with a Whip. (He reappears later during the special Thanksgiving episode of Night of the Blood Beast, and has a lot more funny things to do.)