Films watched: Here Comes the Circus (short) and The Day the Earth Froze
The short Here Comes the Circus is about the Clyde Beatty Circus and features legendary clown Emmett Kelly.
- It's family photo time on the SOL! Crow and Servo misbehave, Gypsy worries about her hair, and the picture comes out badly.
- Joel presents Snaction (includes wax knuckles, a Pixie Staff, the Five Lady Fingers of Death, the Everlasting Octa-gob-stomper, and ninja throwing cookies), while the Mads show off their Unhappy Meals. Dr. Forrester cashed in Frank's 401K to help pay for these. Frank wants his money back.
- The SOL crew thinks up new ideas for clown acts. It gets increasingly dark.
- The crew debate over a pressing question from the movie: What the heck is a Sampo, anyway? (It was actually explained in the first few minutes, but the robots were talking over it, so they didn't catch it.)
- The SOL presents "Gypsy Rose Me!", a new one-woman show starring Gypsy.
- Servo and Crow wrap themselves in trash bags and pretend to be scents. Joel reads a letter from a bomb expert in Germany who sends a picture of their very own Crow — a bomb disposal robot. Clayton cuts Frank (who still wants his money) free.
This episode has examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative: frequently citing Lemminkäinen's failure to recover the Sampo isn't quite so severe knowing that even a piece of it is still worth something, according to Väinämöinen.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: When Ilmarinen's second boat enters the water, wreaking fiery havoc amongst the trolls.Tom: Well, there's somethin' you don't see every day, Chauncey.Joel: What's that, Edgar?Tom: KISS goin' bass fishin'.
- Credits Gag: Mailing address gag, actually. Tom reads the address crawl when it appears on the screen as usual, but it's a little different. As he reads out loud:MST3K Info Club
If you know what a Sampo is,
write it on a piece of paper,
throw it away and then try not to
think about it. You'll be glad you did.
- That didn't stop people from writing in. One person sent in the logo from their Sampo car (a automobile manufacturer from, where else? Finland.)
- Curse Cut Short: Happens twice during the invention exchange with the MadsTV's Frank: You took all my money, you son of a - !Dr. Forrester: Watch it, Frank!
- And later,Dr. Forrester: Oh, blow it out your - experiment today...
- And later,
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: During the Sampo's construction, a group of trolls are working giant bellows made with huge logs; one of them is straddling it like a cowboy...Crow: He's got delusions of grandeur!
- Head-Tiltingly Kinky: Two clowns do an acrobatic act that gets rather... questionable, resulting in: "Oh, NO! They're doing it clown style!" "And Madonna thinks she's innovative!" "More, more! I'm a bad clown!"
- Hypocritical Humor: During the short Here Comes the Circus, Joel criticizes the bots several times for their dark humor during the piece, then falls into the habit himself.Joel: [During a trapeze act] "Pass the word; Ed's been hitting the bottle today!"[Tom and Crow audibly gasp]Tom: Oh, like that's a big improvement over what we've been doing.
- Later...Joel: An elephant snaps its tether and kills a coolie!Tom: Now who's getting dark?...I like it!
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Tons.Joel: Annikki in the UK?
- "I Am" Song: "Gypsy Rose Me", the original song Gypsy performs for her one-woman show.
- Is It Something You Eat?: Joel and the 'Bots react with hungry "Mmmm!"s when Louhi is told that a boat bringing Lemminkäinen is approaching her island.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Pretty much sums up the second of Crow's Bullwinkle impressions, responding to immolation with casual nonchalance.Crow: Will somebody please put me out? I seem to be on fire.
- Minnesota Nice: References in the "Scandinavian Ladies" sketch during the film. Prepped many MSTies for the film Fargo.Crow: (Minnesota accent) It was so ding-dang cold the stuff in my nose just freeze up!
- Monster Clown: The badly-drawn clown on the title card of Here Comes The Circus —Crow: HEEEEEEEEEEERE COMES THE DEVIL!Tom: It's Beelzebub the Clown!
- Noodle Implements:
- Dr. Forrester gets Frank to send them the movie by threatening him with punishment in "the box", which is a reference to Cool Hand Luke and a real, now-illegal form of prisoner punishment (solitary confinement in a tiny metal box left out in the hot desert sun).
- The film was originally written for a Finnish audience already somewhat familiar with the story. As such, it only briefly describes what a sampo isnote , and since the bots were talking over it, Joel and the bots are left to try to figure it out from context.
- Pet the Dog: Joel seems legitimately happy to see Emmett Kelley, and the bots don't riff too hard on him, especially compared to the other clowns. Joel's main riff is that Emmett changed agents after appearing in the short.
- Running Gag:
- Best Brains just took the Minnesota accents and ran with them the entire episode, thanks to the film being about a) Scandinavians, and b) being really really cold.
- Crow and Tom will be quick to remind you that Lemminkäinen is one big, fat failure.
- The many and varied uses of a Sampo.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: Inferred by Crow when Annikki is released.Crow: Hey, that's the wrong sister!
Tom: (Minnesota accent) D' Dooks. Ride d' dooks.
- While showing off his ninja throwing cookies, Joel quips "Nobody doesn't like Bruce Lee!", a nod to the advertising slogan "Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee!"
- Forrester cows Frank with threatening him with The Box.
- An acrobatic act during Here Comes the Circus inspires a reference to The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat, a nonfiction book by neurologist Oliver Sacks.
- The crew makes five references to Monty Python's Flying Circus, with two of them referring to the "It's..." man (unsurprising, given the amount of beards in Finland).
- Many comparisons between Finland and the Wisconsin Dells.
- "I sing whenever I sing..."
- The moose-boat invites an inevitable reference to Rocky and Bullwinkle.
- Followed up by an imitated exchange from Those Two Guys from that series, Chauncey and Edgar.
- "A herring!"
- When the North wind is let loose. "Don't look, Marion!"
- "Don't talk about our clown, Martha."
- "It's a nice day for a ''wet'' wedding."
- "Sampo's off, sorry."
- Take That!:
- The scene of the villagers marching through The Night That Never Ends prompts the following exchange.Tom: Why are they all so bummed out?
Joel: They just saw Captain Ron.
- When Louhi's troops are put to sleep by the music played by the soldiers of Kalevala, Servo likens it to falling asleep listening to A Prairie Home Companion.Servo: And that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average. Butch Thompson's gonna come out with the band, they're gonna do a medley of songs about cats; then Jim Ed Poole will do some cat sounds and then another episode of Watching Paint Dry, then Claudia Schmidt'll come out and try to fill the gap in her teeth, and Pat Donohue and Peter Ostroushko are going to favor us with the story of "The Swede Who Didn't Like Meatballs."
- The scene of the villagers marching through The Night That Never Ends prompts the following exchange.
- With Lyrics: The lyrics that Joel and bots song at Lemminkäinen and Annikki's wedding.Failure, failure, total failure
He's a loser, la la la