The second episode of the series sees the Satellite of Love overrun by "Demon Dogs"—obnoxious canine skeletons from space who swarm the ship and threaten to send it sinking back into the Earth's atmosphere.
The SegmentsSegment 1/Invention Exchange
- Joel invents the airbag helmet for motorcycles. Dr. Forrester invents the Chalkman, a record player that produces the sound of Nails on a Blackboard to get rid of lingering party guests.
- Demon Dogs invade the SOL! Tom Servo tries (and fails) to shoo them away.
- Enoch, King of the Demon Dogs, parleys with Joel and the Bots, but Gypsy winds up eating him.
- Crow disguises himself as Enoch in an attempt to get rid of the Demon Dogs. It doesn't end well.
- Joel plays fetch with the Demon Dogs.
The MST3K presentation contains examples of:
- Artistic License Physics: You cannot, in fact, weigh down an object floating in space to the point that it "falls" to Earth. (An object in stable orbit which increases substantially in mass is nudged away from its primary. It's complicated.)
- Corpsing: A Servo line during the Radar Men riffing ("Is the music always this poor in serials?") seems to genuinely crack Joel up.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Discussed in the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide:Michael J. Nelson: We were still experimenting with the movie comments and we look back with embarrassment at two particular gags. One involved Joel covering the mouth of a woman singing and the singing becoming muted. The other, even more shameful, was adding the sound of men, ahem, urinating when there was a shot of them with their backs turned. Both broke the rules of the show and both were quite stupid. We're really very sorry.
- Kevin Murphy also said this was the one and only time they ended up doing tequila shots to get through the writing of the riffs.
- Also; Gypsy at this point was basically a very dim-witted "family pet" type and stupidly ate Enoch, the ruler of the Demon Dogs at the worst time.
- Horde of Alien Locusts: Parodied with the Demon Dogs, whose only real threat is in weighing down the SoL to the point that it "sinks".
- Immune to Bullets: Joel and the Bots discuss this with the titular mummy.Joel: Bullets bounce right off.Crow: Or go right through.Tom: Doesn't really matter...
- Man on Fire: After seeing the gravekeeper run away screaming after the Robot sets him on fire, Crow quips "Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery."
- Nails on a Blackboard: Dr. Forrester invents the "Chalkman"—a record player where the "record" is a circular piece of chalkboard and the "needle" is a prosthetic hand with real human fingernails.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!:
- Enoch, king of the Demon Dogs, comes to broker peace with Joel and the Bots. Gypsy eats him for no discernible reason.
- Joel sets one of the probes on the SOL for the remaining Demon Dogs to fetch. Servo points out that fetch means "go and bring back", meaning the crew is still in trouble if/when the Demon Dogs catch that probe. Joel then Facepalms.
- Noodle Incident: Dr. Erhardt begs Dr. Forrester not to blow up the convention center if he doesn't win the mad scientist competition, and Forrester protests that he only did that twice; the third time technically counted as burning down the convention center.
- Rhetorical Question Blunder:Narrator: How far can the human mind penetrate the mysteries of the great beyond?
Crow: Thirteen feet, four inches. 1920 Olympics.
- Running Gag:
- Every set in the movie looks like a miniature golf course to Joel.
- Joel and the Bots keep pointing out Pinacate's resemblance to Floyd the Barber.
- Shooting Superman: Tom riffs one one of the bad guys shooting at the Mummy even though it clearly has no effect.Tom: (sarcastically) Yeah, keep shooting Bruno, it's gonna work, really.
- Small, Annoying Creature: The Demon Dogs.
- As Commando Cody suits up in Radar Men from the Moon, Tom riffs "Take your protein pills, and put your helmet on!"
- "This is my brother Xenon, and my other brother Xenon."
- "My name is Friday. I carry a badge. I don't need no stinking badge."