While playing a game on her phone, Sunset trips over a bottle lying in the sand and finds a treasure map inside. She, Twilight, and Pinkie Pie follow it to a treasure chest which has another message in a bottle, this one leading to a sushi stand which set the whole thing up as a marketing tool.
- Adaptation Personality Change: The sushi stand attendant is the human counterpart of the pony serving drinks at the Daring Do convention in "Stranger Than Fan Fiction". Her pony counterpart was a Grumpy Bear due to working a Burger Fool job, her sullen expression only changing when she witnessed Quibble Pants and Rainbow Dash's Plot-Mandated Friendship Failure - to which she reacted by cracking a rather nasty smile. In contrast, the human version is quite cheerful and actually seems happy with her job, enthusiastically greeting Sunset, Twilight and Pinkie when they arrive.
- Fire-Breathing Diner: Pinkie starts belching green fire after putting too much wasabi on her sushi.
- Message in a Bottle: Sunset kicks off the plot by finding one.
- Mythology Gag: The sushi truck looks very similar to Sunset's truck from the Equestria Girls Mini toyline.
- Suddenly Voiced: The attendant's pony counterpart had no lines in "Stranger Than Fan Fiction", but here is voiced by Tara Strong.
- Sudden Video-Game Moment: During their search for the treasure chest, the girls are shown in a video game sequence similar to the mobile game Sunset was playing.
- Talk Like a Pirate: The sushi stand attendant makes a (not very convincing) effort to sound like a gruff pirate.
- Viral Marketing: The whole plot is an in-universe marketing stunt by a local sushi stand.