Twilight gets a text message from Timber Spruce consisting entirely of emojis. Not familiar with the unusual form of communication, she turns to one of her friends to help her out.
If Twilight chooses Rarity, Rarity hijacks the conversation and carries it on with Timber entirely with emojis, but explains to Twilight she was setting them up on a date for ice cream. If Fluttershy is chosen, she advises Twilight reply with a bunch of animal emojis, which Timber interprets to be a suggestion for a date to the zoo. If Sunset is chosen, she just calls Timber to ask him what he meant, and finds out he was inviting Twilight to play minigolf.
- Adorkable: Twilight's attempts to decipher Timber's text and her anxiety over not knowing something for once are endearing.
- Buffy Speak: Twilight does this when she's stunned Sunset talked to Timber over the phone.Twilight: You just... boy talked... mouth words... phone.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Fluttershy gets her turn to be this when she has Twilight send out a text of animal emojis without really giving thought to conveying an actual message in them.
- Comically Missing the Point: Twilight's attempt to translate the emoji text herself in Sunset's ending.Twilight: Timber Spruce wants to dress up like pirates and fly through waterfalls with an alligator while we eat ice cream with golf clubs for spoons?! That's crazy! Golf clubs would make terrible spoons.
- Covered in Gunge: Snips and Snails end up with their heads covered in green cupcake frosting as a result of being Pinkie Pie's lab partners.
- Cutting the Knot: Sunset avoids the issue of deciphering Timber's text by calling him up and asking what he meant by it.
- Intelligible Unintelligible: From Twilight's perspective; Rarity and Timber are conversing in emojis whose meaning completely escapes her, but they can understand each other just fine.
- Love Makes You Dumb: Twilight is so strung out over her boyfriend's message that she's shocked that Sunset is using a phone to talk instead of instant message, and forgets how to say "yes" for a moment. Incidentally, this is also her first experience with "not knowing things".
- Mundane Solution: Sunset's solution to the confusing text? Just call Timber and talk to him directly.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: When Fluttershy tells Twilight to text Timber animal emoji's Twilight screams "But what does it mean?!" in frustration.
- Translator Buddy: What Twilight needs her friends to be to decipher Timber's text. In practice, only Rarity can actually pull it off.