Jake reads about mermaids and becomes set on finding one, so he can marry her.
- Awesome Underwater World: The aquatic wing is explored for the first time in this episode.
- Balloon Belly: After eating a fulfilling lunch, Herman Hermit Crab bloated up quickly, and outgrew his shell.
- Clingy Aquatic Life: Herman Hermit Crab was a literal/metaphorical version of this here. He stuffed himself in Adam's locker and every time Adam threw him out, he'd instantly appear back in there again. He'd also spend the entire day, sitting on Adam's head and pinching his cheeks, refusing to leave him alone.
- Department of Redundancy Department: The Chasm of the Abyss.
- Hallucinations: Jake started to hallucinate seeing a beautiful mermaid girl, but it was really Principal Pixiefrog's fishing lure.
- Love Before First Sight: Jake fell in love with a mermaid, he read about in a book.
- Mondegreen: Jake said "Adam's got a crab", but it sounded like "Adam's gotta crap."