Grady's apartment gets invaded by cockroaches just before Jessica arrives for a visit, but an old college friend of Grady's, Garrett Harper, who married hotel heiress Cornelia Montaigne, invites them to stay at the hotel. He even invites a girl Grady knew in high school, Sandra Clemens. However, incidents at the hotel cast doubt on Garrett's generosity as Sandra turns up dead and Garrett acts very suspiciously. With Grady once again the primary suspect, can Jessica extricate her nephew and find who really killed Sandra?
This episode includes examples of the following tropes:
- An Aesop: The subplot about Grady and Garrett's "friendship" provides the lesson that a person shouldn't let someone who shows no loyalty use his loyalty to manipulate him into a compromising position.
- Conviction by Contradiction: Mr. Havlin claimed he had been catching a power nap when Sandra was murdered. However, Jessica remembers that he put a fresh flower in his boutonniere before coming with her. The maid would very likely not have placed a new flower in the room if he had really been asleep as he said.
- False Friend: Grady refers to Garrett as a friend, but his behavior leaves much to be desired. He talks Grady into remaining silent about seeing him in Sandra's room when he discovered the body, even though it makes Grady more of a suspect. After the police seal off Sandra's room, he guilt-trips Grady into going and retrieving a bracelet that could land him in trouble with the police or his wife, making the police even surer that Grady killed Sandra. Finally, he offers the hotel head of security $5,000 to come up with a memory that would incriminate his old school friend. Luckily, by the end of the episode, Grady has realized how treacherous he is.
- I Have to Go Iron My Dog: After Garrett tries to screw him over and then makes a half-hearted apology and invites Grady to his wedding, Grady responds in such a way as to make it clear he wants nothing to do with him:Grady: Sorry, buddy, I'll be busy that week.Garrett: But I haven't even told you the date yet.Grady: I know.
- "Jump Off a Bridge" Rebuttal: When Jessica and Grady are arguing about Garrett's demands, Grady says he just wanted to help an old friend. Jessica asks if he would help him rob a bank too.
- Meal Ticket: Garrett presumably married Cornelia Harper for her money and property. While he claims to love her, his behavior throughout the episode indicates he can't be trusted.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: Inspector Matheney seems more interested in high culture than in police business. At one point, Jessica calls him out for ignoring the case in favor of an art exhibit.
- Right Behind Me: Garrett offers the hotel head of security, Mr. Rice, a raise and $5,000 to come up with a memory that would throw suspicion on Grady. Unfortunately for him, Grady was standing right around the corner.
- Vorpal Pillow: Mr. Havlin used the pillow in Sandra's bed to smother her.