Jessica unexpectedly inherits shares in a football team, the Leopards, from her Uncle Cyrus. When she goes to check out the team, however, she finds herself in the middle of a battle off the field. Two parties have been trying to gain a majority share in the football team for years, including the unpleasant Mr. Kreuger, who wants to move the team abroad. Then Mr. Kreuger turns up dead in the football's pool, and the police fix on Zak Farell as the primary suspect.
This episode includes examples of the following tropes:
- Batman Gambit: Jessica calls Mr. McCord, posing as a dry-cleaning lady, and reports that the blazer he dropped off had a missing button. McCord goes to Kreuger's house and begins snooping around in the bathtub drain, confirming Jessica's theory that he had drowned Kreuger there and staged the scene at the pool.
- Blackmail: Kreuger kept calling the Farrells with threats to reveal Jill's adoption and take her away.
- Happily Adopted: The Farrells adopted Jill, and they all seem to love each other very much. Kreuger blackmailing them with threats of revealing it and taking her away help set up suspicious circumstances against Zak.
- Platonic Declaration of Love: At the end of the episode, Jill signs "I love you" to Jessica, with whom she has developed an Intergenerational Friendship. Jessica signs it back and then hugs her.
- Sauna of Death: While Jessica investigates the football stadium at night, someone locks her into the steam room and turns on the heat to dangerous levels. Luckily someone hears her banging for help and lets her out.
- Win One for the Gipper: One of the players tells Jessica that they're going to win the game for her. They do, but Jessica is too busy trapping Kreuger's killer and neither she nor the lieutenant (to his chagrin) see it.