Candy Catastrophe is the fourth Moshi Monsters mission.
It begins at the volcano. Dramatic music plays and Elder Furi is glad you are here. He adds that monsters all over Monstro City are being made sick and asks which candies are evil. The correct answer is "Lollyplops, Scummi Bears and Barfmallows". He says you are observant and you reply, "That's because I'm a Super Moshi." Elder Furi asks who is making the candies and says that they need to be stopped. He then gives you a Morph Stone that can make you look like a Glump if you find some Glump Goo. He then tells you to investigate the Gross-ery store and wishes you luck.
At the Gross-ery, store, talk to Snozzle Wobbleson. He notes that some items have fallen off his shelves and asks you to first put them away, then talk to him. Click on all the items. Then, open your inventory and drag them onto the shelves. Look for a shelf with more items like the one at hand, or else Snozzle will say, "That doesn't belong there." If you drag them to your monster, they will say something about the item. One of the items, a cucumber-like item called a Pew Cumber, is not sold by Snozzle. When done, Snozzle will ask what the strange crate is. Click the crate and you will see it's full of goo, candy and a note saying "TODAY'S PASSWORD is PASSWORD". Then, you talk to Snozzle, asking him why he has been selling evil candies and where they came from. He says they're from Candy Cane Caves, and you ask if he can take you there. He accepts.
At the caves, your monster wonders why the entrance is closed. The gatekeeper tells you that only Glumps are allowed. Click the goo on the floor, then use that with the Morph Stone. You become a giant Glump with your clothes still on. However, the gatekeeper says he can smell you and doesn't let you in. Talk to Snozzle, who says that in order to be let in, you have to smell bad, and to smell bad, find stinky things and use them on yourself. Click on the dirty sock and the fish head, then go to your inventory and use them and the Pew Cumber on yourself. Talk to the gatekeeper. He notices that you are bigger than most Glumps and are wearing a cape but is too thick to put two and two together. He then asks for the password. Reply, "Password". Then, he asks your name. He accepts any name, while noting it to be a funny Glump name, and asks for ID, but you do not have it, so he won't let you in. Snozzle Wobbleson suggests trapping a Glump to get an ID. To do this, click the branch, open your inventory, and use it to cover the whole. The Glump will fall in and leave an ID. Pass it to the gatekeeper. He asks for the password. Reply, "Password." He then asks your name and you reply, "Gloopy". He accepts the ID, despite saying that it's a bad picture of you.
Inside the caves, talk to the Moshling inside a hole in the wall. She thinks you're a Glump and you say you're just pretending and are a Super Moshi, but she doesn't believe you. She asks you where the Super Moshi HQ is. Reply that it's in the Volcano. She says that it's correct but might be a lucky guess, and asks who the Super Moshis' worst enemy is. Reply that it's Dr Strangeglove. The Moshling finally believes you and tells you to take the elevator to the mine and meet her there to stop Sweet Tooth from poisoning the candy. You take the elevator.
At the mine, the Moshling gets your attention. You ask what's going on. She says that Sweet Tooth has hypnotised the miners and they're gooing the candies. You resolve to stop them. The Moshling tells you that Sweet Tooth's lair is even deeper into the caves and that you need to use the mine cart to get there. Click to ring an alarm to distract the Glump on the goo barrel, and while he's gone, disconnect the hose. When he comes back, he doesn't notice the hose is disconnected and keeps bouncing on the barrel. When you click the minecart, it is missing a wheel. Click a round piece of candy. That can be used as a wheel. However, the track is still set wrong and the switch is broken. Fix the switch with a broken piece of candy cane. Switch the tracks and click the mine cart. You get a game where you press the space bar to speed up the cart.
You crash in Sweet Tooth's lair and get de-glumped. Sweet Tooth says that they have been expecting you and threatens to zap you if you step closer. Click the Moshling and tell her that the hypno blaster is deadly. She says she has a tendency to explode, which prompts you to tell her to step onto the weakened bridge. When she does, step closer and the Moshling will get zapped, explode, and send Sweet Tooth and their chair into the jam lake. Sweet Tooth gets rescued by a floatie. Pick up the Moshling, whose name is revealed to be Cherry Bomb, and you can keep her.
Back at the Volcano, Elder Furi notes you still stink and asks what happened. Explain about finding the evil candy while tidying the Grossery Store, about stinking yourself up to get into the caves, about the goo, and about how Sweet Tooth was behind it. Elder Furi praises you, but tells you to be vigilant because Sweet Tooth got away.
This mission provides examples of
- Accessory-Wearing Cartoon Animal:
- Sweet Tooth wears their boots.
- Pirate Pong wears his eyepatch.
- Your super moshi wears its cape and mask.
- Alliterative Title: Candy Catastrophe.
- Ambiguous Gender: Sweet Tooth's gender is a mystery.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: Played straight for Elder Furi, who wears his cloak but no shoes, and inverted for Sweet Tooth who wears nothing but boots.
- Big Bad: The main source of conflict for this mission is Sweet Tooth.
- Blue Is Heroic: Zigzagged. Bloopy the blue glump is an antagonist, but the Super Moshi wears a blue belt. Also, the Super Moshi's Glump form is blue...
- Brainwashed: The miners are hypnotised into working for Sweet Tooth.
- Chekhov's Gun: The pew cumber from the gross-ery store gets used when stinking yourself up.
- The Ditz: Glumps show their ditziness first when Mustachio believes that it's your ID just a very bad picture of you, and second when Pirate Pong doesn't notice the hose is disconnected and keeps pumping the barrel.
- Dressed to Plunder: Pirate Pong wears his eyepatch.
- Evil Smells Bad: You have to stink to pass as a Glump. Sweet Tooth doesn't stink, though.
- Fantastic Fruits and Vegetables: Sunshine Berries and Pew Cumbers feature in this mission.
- First-Name Basis: Your Super Moshi seems to be on a first-name basis with Snozzle Wobbleson.
- The Guards Must Be Crazy: Mustachio doesn't remember what Gloopy looks like and lets you in when you steal his ID, despite noting that it's a "very bad picture of you".
- Healing Factor: Cherry Bomb explodes, but always goes back to normal.
- Level Ate: The Candy Cane Caves is a cave made entirely out of candy, and it's where all the candy comes from.
- Light Is Not Good: Zigzagged. Played straight for Sweet Tooth who is colourful and likes candy, but is evil, but averted for the Candy Cane Caves themselves, which would be (and they usually are) just as light and happy as the name suggests if it weren't for C.L.O.N.C.
- Mass Hypnosis: Sweet Tooth hypnotises two miners.
- Meaningful Name:
- Sweet Tooth works with candy.
- Cherry Bomb explodes and looks like a cherry.
- Mister Strangenoun: Sweet Tooth and Cherry Bomb feature, and they both have words in their names, and also Dr Strangeglove is mentioned.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Dr Strangeglove is mentioned to be the Super Moshis' worst enemy.
- The Nameless: The Roarkers never get their names revealed.
- No Name Given: The two Roarkers' names are never revealed.
- Oh, Crap!: When Sweet Tooth realises that Cherry Bomb's fuse is lit, they go "uh-oh" and then look worried.
- The Password Is Always "Swordfish": The Glumps use "password" as their password.
- Perfectly Cromulent Word: This mission uses the words "goo" as a verb (to cover something with goo), "Roarker" (a worker) and "de-glump" (to turn a glump into a non-glump).
- Pun: When Sweet Tooth is defeated, your monster says, "Sweet, sweet victory.".
- Red Is Heroic: Your Super Moshi wears a red cape and mask and Cherry Bomb, who helps to save the day, is red.
- Shapeshifting: You use the Morph Stone and Glump Goo to turn into a Glump.
- Shapeshifting Excludes Clothing: When you turn into a Glump, you are still wearing a cape and mask.
- Sick Episode: Zigzagged. Monsters are mentioned to have been made sick, but nobody seems sick in the mission and it's revealed to be due to poisoned candy, not an actual illness.
- Superheroes Wear Capes: Pointed out by the Super Moshi.Monster: "Check out my cape and mask. I must be a Super Moshi."
- Volcano Lair: The Super Moshi HQ is inside the Volcano, as pointed out by Cherry Bomb.
- Your Head A-Splode: When Cherry Bomb "goes off", only her head explodes.