Jose Chung (portrayed by Charles Nelson Reilly, reprising his role from The X-Files episode "Jose Chung's From Outer Space") comes to the aid of Frank Black and the Millennium Group when a bizarre religious group known as Selfosophy (a parody of real-world Scientology) targets him for harassment because of his authorship of a short story concerning the cult. The question becomes, as Frank puts it, "What the hell is going on here?"
- Ax-Crazy: The "Nostradamus Nutball" killed three people he considered the "Anti-Christ" with a pick-axe.
- Berserk Button: Mr. Smooth is highly offended by Chung's story criticizing Selfosophy. Even his Selfosophy self-help tapes don't help him with his anger and believes the only way to make himself happy again is to kill Chung.
- Church of Happyology: Institute of Selfosophy
- Face Death with Dignity: Jose Chung, as Mr. Smooth came to shoot him. But didn't expect the "Nostradamus Nutball".
- Imagine Spot: While reading a book, Frank imagines himself as an upbeat detective like the character in the book.
- Karma Houdini: The "Nostradamus Nutball".
- Missed Him by That Much: Frank and Chung left the bookstore, as Mr. Smooth buys more Onan Goopta books.
- Our Founder: Onan Goopta, of Selfosophy.
- Red Herring: It's believed Mr. Smooth was invoked with the killing a Nostradamus professor and a ticket girl. But it turns out to be someone known as the "Nostradamus Nutball" who also plans to kill Chung.
- Shout-Out: Chung wrote a book titled To Serve Man."Please tell me it isn't a cookbook."
- Stepford Smiler: Selfosophers, apparently. Even the victim Joseph Ratfinkovitch while clearly in tears before he was murdered.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Chung gives a really epic one to Mr. Smooth questioning his faith, resulting in his Villainous Breakdown.
- Too Dumb to Live: While being chased by Frank, Mr. Smooth is convinced he can leap to the neighboring building and escape with his positive thinking. Wrong.