When a baby boy is discovered in the rubbish, detectives Benson and Stabler use a t-shirt found at the scene to trace the crime back to a well-to-do college student (Schuyler Fisk), whose father (eljko Ivanek) may know more than he lets on.
This episode contains examples of:
- Amoral Attorney: Ella's father has a licence to practice law. He's also her baby's father and uses it to see her when she is in prison.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Ella.
- Child by Rape: Deconstructed. Ella describes her babies as these. She ultimately is proven to be lying, as she's having a consensual relationship with her father. It's an argument whether this qualifies as rape too.
- Confess to a Lesser Crime: When she collapses in the hospital, Ella admits to being pregnant by rape and claims not to have unknowingly abandoned the baby. She does know, and she's done this before, committing premeditated murder.
- Corrupt Politician: Ella's father, hoo boy.
- Expy: Manhattan Institute of Technology for Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- False Rape Accusation: Ella makes two of these, making it a very heavy episode even by SVU standards, preying on Olivia's goodwill by insisting to have been raped and she's pulled this trick in the past. In a weird way, she might be telling the truth even though she believes the relationship with her father to be consensual.
- Freudian Excuse: Ella thinks she has one. Whether or not you agree is up to you. In a more straightforward example, Olivia uses her own on Ella.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: Elliot is the bad cop, Olivia is the good.
- Insanity Defence: Ella pulls one, and succeeds.
- Ivy League for Everyone: Ella's college is obviously meant to be MIT, but because of the New York setting, it's called the Manhattan Institute of Technology.
- Karma Houdini: Ella is an extreme example. She gets a light sentence for the abandonment on an insanity plea. Even after she accidentally confesses the premeditated murder of her first baby to Olivia, it's implied that she won't suffer serious consequences because she's already had one jury deem her insane and it's on the record. Downplayed, because her reputation is trashed; the entire world knows that she murdered her baby and that she was in an incestuous relationship with her father.
- Love Martyr: Ella claims to be one. and her father might be one, too, if you believe he didn't manipulate Ella into their sexual relationship, but that's ambiguous.
- Manipulative Bitch: Ella.
- Motive Rant: Ella gets one in prison.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: Everett got Ella out of even having to face questioning for her first baby's murder.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: And then he puts his house up as collateral to pay Ella's bail.
- Villainous Incest: Ella and her father. Olivia thinks he's more villainous. Casey isn't so sure.