Buck Strickland turns to the Lord after his wife leaves him (again) and Luanne is more than willing to help, which doesn't sit well with Hank and Peggy. Meanwhile, Bobby hides out from his track coach and makes friends with two old ladies at Hotel Arlen's restaurant during tea time.
- Abhorrent Admirer: What Buck ultimately is to Luanne, as she turns him down flat when he proposes.
- Luanne: You're very nice, but you're totally old. I like young guys, who love Jesus but have fitness...and hair.
- Dirty Old Man: About 90% of Luanne's Bible students are this.
- Drunk Driver: Buck, soused to the gills, crashes his Cadillac twice in this episode.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Hank is utterly mortified that Buck gambled Strickland Propane and lost it. Peggy incredulously points out that he's a lying, adulterous, hedonist. Hank overlooks all that because Buck got him into propane.
- Ms. Fanservice: Luanne runs her Bible studies class by the pool, so it's only natural that she wear a bikini during sessions, right? Her students don't mind in the slightest.