We now turn our focus to one of the established band members for the first time this season; in this case Gloria.
We start off with Riley having Andrea assist with a magic trick involving guessing a card (the blond dancer guesses queen of diamonds - which Riley pulls out). However, the crowd quickly begins booing and Andrea becomes suspicious of how he knew what the card was. We never find out, because its time for Kids Incorporated to take the stage (Time is On Our Side).
Gloria seems rather nervous and antsy when Ryan tries to make conversation with her (with Gloria asking if he felt she was attractive or smart). The reason for the wild mood swings: Some guy named Bradnote didnt ask her to the next dance. Ryans suggestion involves her trying to focus on the next song (Why Do Fools Fall in Love?). After the song, the others try cheering Gloria up, with Ryan remarking that maybe the reason Brad didnt ask her out was because he was scared of being shown up only for Gloria to then decide she may never dance again.
After a lighter moment (a prank by Renee in which Kid was so busy dancing and singing a bit of opening number Time is On Our Side to himself he didnt realize the batteries were taken out of his portable tape player) and a brief discussion of whether the guy should always be the one asking the girl out before a still-dejected Gloria heading back to the P*lace (Everytime You Go Away). Ryan then arrives with another suggestion: Dance anyway and that would get Brads attention; an idea Gloria feels much more receptive to (Thats Dancin)
By sheer coincidence, the P*lace is holding a dance while Riley is displaying his first invention: plastic sheet music. Suffice to say; none of the others were particularly impressed, though Stacy lingered long enough to attempt to coax Riley to join Gloria on the dance floor; eventually succeeding by promising not to make fun of his inventions. Sure enough, Riley joins Gloria on the dance floor as the rest of the band performs The Party Train before giving way to Brad.
Songs performed in this episode:
- Time is On Our Side (Kids Incorporated original; lead vocals by Gloria and Kid)
- Why Do Fools Fall in Love? (Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers cover; lead vocals by Renee)
- Everytime You Go Away (Paul Young cover; lead vocals by Gloria)
- Thats Dancin (Fame cover; lead vocals by Gloria)note
- The Party Train (The GAP Band cover; lead vocals by Kid)
Tropes associated with this episode:
- Bungling Inventor: This trait is referenced with regards to Riley for the first time. It would not be the last, however.
- Face Your Fears: Another appearance of this aesop in an episode focused on Gloria.
- Have a Gay Old Time: The opening line in Why Do Fools Fall in Love? Why do birds sing so gay?