Second consecutive episode focusing on the Kid, the first episode focusing on the fact that he's not a particularly disciplined students and an episode with perhaps the highest profile guest star yet: Knight Rider star David Hasselhoff.
The episode opens with "Teacher, Teacher" (during which Riley hangs a sign advertising David Hasselhoff appearing at the Coco Club for one night only). The kids then prepare to study for finals...except for the Kid, who despite his grades dropping significantly refuses to study even under threat of being held back; desiring instead to be a superstar like David Hasselhoff (Renee - who clearly has a crush on the Hoff - answers Kid's question on whether anyone asks Hasselhoff about geography with "Not on a first date"). The kids then prepare to quiz each other only to have the Kid continue blowing them off; resulting in Gloria attempting to reason with him ("Out of Touch").
By now the kids have gone to the school library; where the Kid is still not even attempting to take the exams seriously (such as blurting out "Boy George" as his answer to a question on who said "That's one small step for man", uttering a similarly ridiculous answer to a question on the Iron Curtain and sneaking a music magazine in), then as the bell rings, Kid bails on the others to see the Hoff ("Break My Stride"). Kid then proceeds to blow off the other's attempts to confront or reason with him over the fact he was in serious danger of flunking out (even threatening to quit Kids Incorporated); however Gloria then gets an idea on what to do.
Back at the P*lace; Riley attempts to stall Kid from leaving for the Coco Club, however the effort seems to fail. Unbeknownst to Kid, however, David Hasselhoff was listening the entire time; allowing the Hoff an opportunity to set the Kid straight on getting his education. The others are present, and not surprisingly Renee is completely starstruck. We then see Kids Incorporated perform "Do You Love Me" with Hasselhoff (which he agreed to as part of a deal with the Kid if he took his studying for finals seriously) as guest vocalist, followed by Hasselhoff giving out autographed pictures while Kid finally gets the message on getting an education (even opening one of the books on the stage to indicate he's not wasting any time hitting the books), setting up closing song "We Got the Beat".
Cast note: This marks Carletta Prince's first episode as one of the dancers following the departure of Shanice Wilson.
Songs performed in this episode:
- "Teacher, Teacher" (.38 Special cover; lead vocals by Mickey)
- "Out of Touch" (Daryl Hall and John Oates cover; lead vocals by Gloria)
- "Break My Stride" (Matthew Wilder cover; lead vocals by Kid)
- "Do You Love Me" (The Contours cover; lead vocals by David Hasselhoffnote )
- "We Got the Beat" (The Go-Go's cover; lead vocals by Renee and Stacy)
Tropes associated with this episode:
- Book Dumb: Kid has school way behind being a superstar on his list of priorities.
- Celeb Crush: Renee has one on the Hoff.
- Stacy (after Renee screams loudly upon seeing Hasselhoff): "You'll have to excuse her, she's very emotional.")
- Early Installment Weirdness: Only episode where the 4th song is performed on stage
- Imagine Spot: The one during "Break My Stride" has Kid signing autographs and receiving awards from the dancers.
- The Great Politics Mess-Up: After Kid answers Renee's question of what the Iron Curtain was by claiming they were a band from The '60s; Renee lists as examples of countries behind the Iron Curtain as Russia; Poland and East Germanynote .