Green Arrow is stopping a robbery when he is forcibly taken to the new Watchtower, as part of the Justice League's expansion. Arrow isn't too wild about the idea, as he thinks the League focuses on giant monsters while he would rather look out for the 'little guy'. However, while being dropped off home, he ends up tagging along on a mission to China with Green Lantern, Captain Atom, and Supergirl to deal with a giant monster- one that poses a serious threat to those 'little guys' as Batman points out...
Tropes in this episode include:
- All There in the Manual: The robot is Brimstone, as confirmed by the behind-the-scenes featurettes on the Justice League Unlimited Season 1 DVD.
- And Now for Someone Completely Different: Instead of centering around any of the main seven so to establish that Unlimited will include other heroes in main roles, the main perspective of the episode is from Green Arrow, accompanied by Captain Atom and Supergirl.
- Arson, Murder, and Admiration: At the end of the episode, Supergirl coyly asks whether Green Lantern is going to congratulate her on a job well done. Lantern instead chews her out on the ways that she jeopardized the mission and the lives of her teammates along with her own and warns her not to do that again if she wants to stay in the Justice League... but ends the speech saying she performed well.Supergirl: So, aren't you gonna do the "you did good" speech?
Green Lantern: You are headstrong, unprofessional, and reckless. If you ever jeopardize yourself or your teammates again by running half-cocked without a battle plan, I will personally see to it that you are kicked out of the League. I don't care who your cousin is.
(Green Lantern begins leaving, while Supergirl looks ashamed)
Green Lantern: And incidentally, you did good.
(Supergirl looks up and begins to smile)
- The Cameo: Several characters can be seen in the crowd of new heroes, including the Question (who is seen sulking and walking away from the cluster), Huntress (who is suffering Early Installment Character-Design Difference), and so on. Some of them become important later.
- Freudian Slip: After being knocked out by the robot, John cries out "Shayera!" when he comes to while the other three heroes are arguing. They give him strange looks and he carries on as if nothing happened.
- The Heart: Invoked. The reason a Badass Normal is being included in a league of powerhouses is that he, as Batman says, "Keeps [them] honest."
- Headbutting Heroes: Green Arrow and Captain Atom. They get over it by the end of the episode.
- Noodle Incident:
- John and J'onn imply they've worked with Kara before and have seen how inexperienced she is.
- Batman and Green Arrow's casualness with each other suggests that they've worked together before, which is why Batman can personally trust him to keep the League in line.