Tensions are rising in the Octopod as the guilt and anger proves to be too much for Barnacles.
- Call-Back: Banracles tells Shellington the real reason his books were misplaced back in "The Queensland Lungfish".
- Manly Tears: In this chapter, Barnacles cries for the first time in five years.
- Misdirected Outburst: The climax of this chapter; Barnacles lashes out at Deborah over his own guilt.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Deborah does this after Barnacles shouts at her.
- It's All My Fault:
- This is Barnacles' reaction to Shellington's mental breakdown.
- Shellington has this reaction upon hearing about Barnacles and Deborah's falling-out.
- Precision F-Strike:Deborah: You'renote just like my dad, you bastard!
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Two back-to-back:
- Barnacles gives Deborah a major dressing-down for trying to remain optimistic despite what happened at the end of "The Swell Shark", culminating in declaring that he should never have chosen her to be an Octonaut.
- Deborah gives Barnacles one right back for taking his anger out on her.
- Tears of Remorse: The chapter ends with Barnacles doing this, regretting what he said to Deborah.
- Trying Not to Cry: "Barnacles stiffened his expression. His eyes were stinging, but he resisted the urge to cry."
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Unlike in "The Swell Shark", here we get a lovely shot of Shellington throwing up onscreen.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are:Captain Barnacles: I aimed to treat younote respectfully from the moment I found you. And to this day, you've proven time and time again that you still deserve that respect.
- You Called Me "X"; It Must Be Serious: Meta example; Barnacles is referred to without his titlenote , signaling how royally he has screwed up.