Ward receives an offer he cannot refuse, Davos argues for a permanent solution, and Bakuto prepares a trap for Danny.
- Actor Allusion / Shout-Out: Harold mentions that he's always wanted to visit Australia. David Wenham, who plays Harold, was born in New South Wales, Australia. He also played a major part in Australia.
- Any Last Words?: Bakuto asks this to Harold before the execution. Harold thinks it's the appropriate moment to call Ward a disappointment and tell Joy he loves her. He also warns Joy never to trust Ward, doing his best to ensure their relationship will be poisoned after his death.
- As the Good Book Says...: Nurse Hill says this almost word-for-word, citing "This too shall pass" as being from the Bible.
- Attack Backfire: Bakuto breaks Colleen's sword, only for her to knock the snapped-off tip into his leg.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Bakuto puts up one hell of a fight, showing why he is in charge of his Hand group.
- Bad Guys Do the Dirty Work: Or rather Anti Heroes in Davos' case, who finishes off Bakuto when the other two are discussing the ethics of killing him.
- Bait-and-Switch: Danny and Colleen get text messages that they've been set up. Moments later, guys in SWAT gear storm the dojo, but it's only after wiping the floor that they see the logos on their uniforms and realize they just got tricked into attacking a crew of Drug Enforcement Administration agents.
- Bare-Handed Blade Block: Danny pulls this off against Bakuto during their fight in the lobby.
- Battle in the Rain: Colleen vs. Bakuto
- Big Damn Heroes: Right after the fist fails him, Colleen and Davos sweep in to save Danny from Bakuto.
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: The Meachums, as both Joy and Bakuto acknowledge. Bakuto says he can recommend a good therapist.
- Black-and-White Insanity: Davos is even more of a zealot than Danny in regards to Colleen and the Hand.
- Blood-Splattered Innocents: When Bakuto guns down Harold's bodyguards, a shocked Joy catches the blood splatter while Harold is unmarked.
- Can't Kill You, Still Need You: Danny invokes this, Bakuto however responds that he can still badly injure him and have him stitched back together.
- Deal with the Devil: Ward makes one with Bakuto to free himself from the mental hospital and finally get rid of his father. Naturally, it doesn't exactly play out as he wanted it to.
- Elite Mook: The Hand mooks give Colleen and Davos some trouble during the Hallway Fight.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Bakuto seems disgusted by the Meachums and their power plays, telling Danny that he should be glad to get away from them, comparing them to vipers.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: When it seems like Danny isn't going to make it, Bakuto wonders if he wants to let the Meachums die to finally get his company back for himself.
- Get It Over With: After saying his last words, Harold tells Bakuto that he is ready to die.
- Going Cold Turkey: What Ward is forced to do in the asylum until Bakuto turns up with a counteragent for the effects of the synthetic heroin.
- HeelFace Turn: Ward is definitely no longer in alliance with Harold, seeing that Harold came back from getting brutally stabbed. He tries to warn Joy to not listen to Harold, but his past lying causes her not to believe him:Ward Meachum: He isn't our dad, OK? This... this thing crawling around in our dad's skin, he is violent, dangerous... he's killed two men that I know of! I have no doubt that he killed Wilkins! Have you seen Kyle around lately?
- He's Back: Averted; Danny summons the Iron Fist to break his handcuffs, but it vanishes before he can use it to fight Bakuto. This leaves him fighting a katana-armed Bakuto with his bare hands.
- Heroic BSoD: Colleen is in this at the start of the episode after her Despair Event Horizon in the previous one. It's an upgrade over the attempted Suicide by Cop.
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him: This topic is brought up when the group deals with whether or not to execute Bakuto. Danny and Colleen play this straight, Davos doesn't care enough to even debate it.
- I Have Your Wife: Bakuto shoots Joy and gives Danny half an hour to surrender or he will execute Harold. If he does surrender, she will be allowed to go to the hospital.
- I Lied: How Bakuto ends his deal with Ward, revealing the means to kill Harold but leaving Ward to deal with Harold himself.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Bakuto goes down this way, with Davos jamming a dagger straight into his heart.
- I Surrender, Suckers: During his fight with Danny, Davos seems to yield at one point, taking Danny's hand only for a cheap shot.
- It's Personal: Colleen's reason for agreeing to duel Bakuto in the end.
- Kick the Dog:
- Bakuto shoots Joy in the stomach solely to draw Danny out.
- Harold fully intends to die with his last words to Ward being, "Ward, I invested my life into you, to raise you to be a great man. You've been the biggest disappointment of my life." He also tells Joy not to trust Ward, ensuring their relationship will be poisoned after he is gone.
- Davos gets one in when he tells Danny that K'un L'un would have been better off if the monks had left him to die.
- Lack of Empathy: Harold is disgusted by the sick and injured in the hospital, apparently forgetting the sufferings of his own death by cancer.
- Leave Him to Me: Colleen insists on finishing Bakuto herself.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Bakuto continues fighting even after having the piece of Colleen's katana stuck in his leg.
- Mama Bear: Despite the fact that they just tried to kill her, Colleen still wants to try and reason with her former students rather than try to kill them. When she learns that Davos broke Darryl's leg, she tries to attack him before Danny pulls her off.
- Manipulative Bastard: Harold manipulations are on full display here, getting Danny to do a Heroic Sacrifice that will get rid of either Bakuto or Danny, turning Joy against Ward, then after Bakuto is seemingly taken care off, trying to sway Ward back to his side and planning to finish off Danny next.
- Moment Killer: Danny and Colleen's meditation exercise is verging on a Dance of Romance when they get a text message warning them of the DEA raid.
- Money Is Not Power: Ward tries to bribe the nurse to set him free, but she refuses. Bakuto turns up with an antidote to the synthetic heroin and an offer of a partnership. Ward knows full well there will be a price, but doesn't feel he has any other options with Joy at risk.
- Never Bring a Gun to a Knife Fight: Both during the scene where Colleen and Davos rescue Danny as well as during the final scene where Danny and Colleen escape the Dojo, nobody of the mooks get even a single shot off.
- Never Found the Body: Bakuto's body goes missing minutes after Davos stabs him in the heart. Colleen assumes that Bakuto's people took it, but Danny reminds her that Harold came back from the dead. And considering what happened how Nobu burned to death and then reappeared several months later, its not crazy to think he may also be resurrected.
- Nightmare Sequence: While bound to a hospital bed, Ward is haunted by his father, especially when he talks of how hungry he is for Joy.
- Not Helping Your Case: Things go From Bad to Worse when Ward tries to get Joy out of Harold's lair. He ends up ranting and drawing a gun on Harold, then Bakuto and his men enter making it clear to Joy that her brother has betrayed them and intends to help the Hand kill their father for reasons she can't understand.
- No, You: Joy's comebacks are terrible.Ward: You see how off he is, right?
Joy: You're the one that seems off.
Ward: Harold is a monster.
Joy: No, you're the monster.
- Off with His Head!: How Bakuto plans to permanently kill Harold.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Ward utters an "Oh, shit" when Bakuto mentions he is with The Hand.
- Danny and Colleen have this reaction when Davos stabs Bakuto through the heart.
- Davos does this when Danny powers the Iron Fist during their fight.
- Colleen says "Holy shit" when she sees that Bakuto's body has disappeared.
- Pet the Dog:
- Ward's betrayal is motivated entirely by his desire to protect his sister from Harold. This makes it even more tragic when his actions only drive her back to his father.
- Ward warns Danny that his father has set him up.
- Please, I Will Do Anything!: Ward begs Bakuto to not kill Harold in front of Joy, saying he'll give him anything. What does Bakuto ask for?Bakuto: Your phone.
Bakuto: [slowly] Your phone.
Bakuto: Well, obviously, I'd like to make a call.
- Pressure Point: Bakuto sends Ward to the ground with a slight tap to the chest.
- Removing the Head or Destroying the Brain: Although this has been implied before, Bakuto confirms that decapitation is the only way to kill someone like Harold permanently.
- Shout-Out: Joy used to sing Crazy In Love as a kid.
- So Proud of You: A very twisted example; after they take Joy to the hospital, Harold tells Ward that he's impressed with Ward's attempt to kill him.
- Split Screen: There is one shortly during the fight with Bakuto's thugs, with Colleen and Davos.
- Surpassed the Teacher: Colleen overcomes Bakuto.
- This Is Something He's Got to Do Himself: How Davos and Danny treat letting Colleen fight Bakuto alone. When Bakuto gains the upper hand, Danny tries to intervene, only for Davos to say that as Bakuto is Colleen's sensei, it's her fight. Colleen in turn doesn't interfere in the fight between Danny and Davos.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: During the final scene, after getting out of the Dojo, Danny and Colleen are beating up a SWAT officer in broad daylight on the street. Some citizens don't even react.
- We Can Rule Together: Ward is given the same deal Bakuto had given to Harold a few episodes prior, though it is made clear soon after that he has no intentions of honoring the deal. Later Harold says to Ward that now Bakuto has been dealt with, there's nothing to stop the Meachum family from taking over Rand again. Danny however is not included in this deal.
- We Will Meet Again: Davos leaves in the end, promising Danny that there will be consequences to his actions.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Harold plans on dealing with Danny next, now that he served his purpose.
- You Monster!: Gets thrown around a few times, first by Ward directed at Harold, then Joy disagrees and states that Ward is the monster.