While dealing with her dad's past, Liv ingests the brains of a private eye to solve a murder.
- Choosing Death: The fake janitor chooses to impale his face on a hook rather than be questioned.
- Cliffhanger: At the end of the episode, Liv and Ravi are in Martin's basement, someone is coming, and they've just found Martin's army of Romero zombies behind a curtain.
- Cowboy Cop: Liv on P.I. brain. She refuses to wait for a warrant to search Chisel's office. Then when Clive insists that she eat a brain tube before she works on the case any more, she goes off and investigates on her own anyway.
- Deliberately Monochrome: A few scenes are totally black-and-white, and most of the episode after Liv eats Chisel's brain is heavily desaturated.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Peyton spends the episode in a drunken funk over having destroyed her career to fund Hi, Zombie!
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Clive explains a dimly lit room by how a bulb blew.
- Noir Episode: Obviously.
- Private Eye Monologue: Ravi makes sure nobody's around to see him, then delivers one as part of an autopsy report.
- Spotting the Thread:
- Major realizes something's off with the janitor as he has two key cards. "I only have one and I run the place."
- Liv recognized Blaine ate Jane's brains as he's doing the same hand motions she did.