Liv Moore was a rising star in her hospital, a genius doctor with a gorgeous fiance, a promising career, and even the start of a real social life. Unfortunately, a boat party she went to became the site of a zombie outbreak, and she was scratched before falling into the water.
She woke up in a body bag on the beach the next day, no longer alive, but not quite dead either. Months later, she works at the morgue, has broken up with her fiance, and her family is worried. She can't tell anyone that she's a zombie hungry for brains, so all she can do is... nothing. She goes to work and she watches tv. Little else.
Until she eats the brains of a Jane Doe who appears to have died in an accident, and has a vision of some of her last moments. She realizes she's been murdered, and sets out to help the cops catch her killer.
- Action Girl: Liv becomes one at the end, when she goes "full-on zombie mode".
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: Averted at the last second in-universe, when the police casually sing Lady Gaga's Bad Romance and it turns out to be hazing a rookie for bringing them an alias which turns out to have been Lady Gaga's real name.
- Bilingual Backfire: Liv discovers her latest brain gave her the ability to speak Romanian when Tess starts cussing her out and she understands it.
- Cannibalism Superpower: Not only does eating brains prevent Liv from losing her intelligence, but she gains memories, knowledge, and mannerisms from the deceased, such as the ability to speak Romanian and kleptomania.
- Casual Kink: The Weather Man has roleplaying fantasies of being a burglar.
- Catapult Nightmare: In The Stinger, Liv dreams of another zombie (who turns out to be Blaine) and wakes up in a panic.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: As a zombie, Liv is potentially infectious, meaning that she can't bring herself to continue being a resident surgeon. She's happily surprised when she realizes that, not only is she a good medical examiner, she can also help the cops with murders.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The villain of the week kills a prostitute and kidnaps two more to find his missing wedding ring.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: After a party that went a little too wild, Liv has a condition that stops her from being a surgeon for fear of infecting others. There is a touch of STD around that plot.
- Dirty Cop: The villain of the episode.
- Disposable Sex Worker: Averted. Liv, and the police, treat the death of the victim of the week with the same importance they would any other murder victim.
- For Halloween, I Am Going as Myself: Liv dresses as a zombie at the Halloween party.
- Gilligan Cut: Major tells Liv to go to the boat party: "What's the worst that could happen?" Smash Cut to the zombie attack on the boat.
- Loud Gulp: Liv does this after Ravi catches her eating brains and ramen.
- Psychic Powers: This is the explanation Liv is forced to provide for her visions. It's not true, but it's close enough.
- The very first Victim of the Week told the cops who arrested her that her name was Stefani Germanotta. This gets the other detectives to start mocking Clive by singing "Bad Romance".
- In Liv's second flashback, we see the weatherman yelling "Heeeeere's Johnny!".
- Major is playing Dying Light.
- Liv picks up things as a result of acquired kleptomania. One of the first things she grabs is a red Swingline stapler.
- Sticky Fingers: The victim was one and Liv briefly inherits her need to steal.