The gang celebrates Thanksgiving with an old college friend with a bad luck streak. However, Thanksgiving at all of their residences goes awry.
This episode provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Jorge Garcia played a cameo role. At one point someone asks for random numbers and he immediately shouts "4,8,15,16,23,42!" the Arc Numbers from LOST. His character is also cursed with being unlucky (as was his Lost character), and compares said curse with being on an island for eternity.
- Berserk Button: What made Zoey finally snap at Ted and throw the gang from her house was Ted calling her Cinderella's Wicked Stepmother.
- Butt-Monkey: The entire episode is dedicated to show how life sucks being The Blitz.
- Catchphrase: "Oh man!"
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Zoey.
- Heads, Tails, Edge: Steve wants to test a theory about the curse's range of influence, so when Barney leaves the room, he flips a coin. It lands on its edge, and falls over when Barney returns.
- Noodle Incident: Most of what happened the night before Thanksgiving.
- Remember the New Guy?: Steve "The Blitz" is the character of the week, but the gang treated him like he was often around since college.
- Running Gag: "The Gentleman!"
- Scenery Censor: When Zoey takes off her top, she does so while walking behind a modern art sculpture and a model ship.
- Tastes Like Feet: Ted's "TuTurkeyKey", which was a turkey stuffed with a smaller turkey.Future!Ted: It tasted wrong.
- Thanksgiving Episode: Was the title a bit of a clue?
- Whole Plot Reference: To Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Two people who can't stand each other are trying to celebrate Thanksgiving, and spend more time together than they'd like. Toward the end of the episode, Ted puts together a number of seemingly innocent things that Zoey had said to conclude that she was spending Thanksgiving alone because her stepdaughter wanted nothing to do with her, similar to the way Steve Martin figured out John Candy's secret in that movie.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: The episode features Steve finally getting rid of "The Blitz" curse... only to regain it at the end of the episode.