Ted crashes a prestigious party in order to get in touch with his intellectual side, while Barney, Lily, and Marshall go to robots versus wrestlers.
This episode provides examples of:
- Badass Boast: Mexican Wrestler Ted uttered one in Spanish.Mexican Wrestler Ted: I am the conqueror of machines!
- Brick Joke: Marshall's Willem Dafoe joke gets a punchline in The Stinger.
- Confronting Your Imposter: The gang (minus Robin) plan on getting into the party by having Lily pose as famous celebrity Marissa Heller, who used to live in Ted's apartment and received an invitation to the party. However, right before Lily can say she is Marissa Heller, the real Marissa Heller shows up thwarting their plan.
- Cool vs. Awesome: The titular event.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: Ted's Identical Stranger is the one who defeats the robot that has been kicking some wrestlers' asses since the gang got in the event.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Ted's main dilemma in the episode is the gang never appreciating him being Sophisticated as Hell.
- Event Title: It refers to a wrestling event featuring Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- Foreshadowing: Barney's worry that the gang is slowly breaking apart will eventually happen some time after the show's Grand Finale, though Future!Ted mentions that they always find ways to reconnect every time this happens.
- Identical Stranger: Ted's is revealed in this episode. A Masked Luchador dubbed "Mexican Wrestler Ted".
- Man Versus Machine: A literal example as the wrestling match is human wrestlers fighting against robots, hence the title "Robots versus Wrestlers".
- Masked Luchador: The titular wrestlers in the titular event, with one of them actually being Ted's Identical Stranger.
- My Name Is Inigo Montoya: Ted's Identical Stranger becomes an unstoppable berserker after the unmasking reveal. This is accurate portrayal as a Masked Luchador's mask is considered sacred in Mexican wrestling traditions since a wrestler stripping/losing their mask is considered as a "humiliation" or/and a "disgrace" in the wrestler's part.
- The Reveal: The final Masked Luchador turns out to be Ted's Identical Stranger.
- Robot Athlete: Again the titular event.