Stella responds to Ted's marriage proposal as Barney comes to terms with the fact that he could be in love with Robin.
This episode provides examples of:
- Artistic License Biology: According to Ted, Barney spent the entire summer in physical rehabilitation after being hit by a bus. By the start of the season, he was back in full health.
- Blatant Lies: Stella pretends to like Star Wars to Ted and Marshall. Until she admits to Marshall that she hates it once Ted leaves the room.
- Date Peepers: A variation. Marshall eavesdrops on Ted and Stella on how she would react on Star Wars. When she finds it out, she puts Marshall and Ted in Ted's room. They still peep on her, with her checking her phone.Ted: I don't believe this. I believe, [Stella] knows this is important to me. She's blatantly...[Ted looks at his phone] "Stop watching me, jackasses".
- Foreshadowing: Marshall asks Stella if she is willing to pretend she likes Star Wars for the rest of her marriage with Ted. She would later leave Ted at the aisle.
- Imagine Spot: Ted on Stella's response after asking him to marry her.
- Jump Scare: Stella throwing her popcorn once she sees Marshall eavesdropping.
- Lady Killer In Love: Barney realizes he's falling in love with Robin.
- Plot Allergy: Stella is allergic to peanuts. Ted doesn't know that.
- Purple Prose: When Marshall asks Ted on the color of Stella's eyes, Ted's response:Ted: The color of the ocean after a storm.Marshall: Which is?...Ted: Beautiful...
- Saw Star Wars 27 Times: Ted's favorite pastime is watching A New Hope.Marshall: That is Ted's favorite movie of all time. He watches it when he's home sick with the flu. He watches it on rainy Sunday afternoons in the fall. He watches it on Christmas Eve. Ted watches Star Wars in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad...
- Secret Keeper: Lily is the only one who knows Barney fell in love with Robin.
- Serious Business: If a girl Ted is dating watches Star Wars and loves it, she passes.
- Too Much Information:Lily: Ask [Robin] something!Barney: (on the phone to Robin) How are you feeling today?Robin: Fine?Lily: Something personal!Barney: At what age did you first get your period?
- We Want Our Jerk Back: Barney acts uncharacteristically romantic on his date with Robin, even ignoring other woman so he can focus only on her. Robin is annoyed by this so she sets him up with a waitress to get him back to his normal self.