When Lily and Marshall's special day comes, nothing goes as they'd hoped, and the gang steps in to make things better.
This episode provides examples of:
- Bavarian Fire Drill: Barney, who discovers that using the line "It's for the bride" on the day of a wedding is the single greatest one in the world.
- Brick Joke: Robin sneaks Lily outside to have a cigarette to calm down. When she and Marshall have their first kiss, he immediately asks her if she's been smoking.Marshall: Did you smoke?Lily: (Lying) No!Robin: (To Barney) Wow. First lie of the marriage. That was fast.
- Bridezilla: Lily did a remarkably good job at subverting this trope when everything went wrong during her wedding day. However season four flashbacks reveal her to have been quite the bridezilla during the months leading up to the wedding.
- Call-Back: Lily and Marshall sneak off into the bathroom at the reception to have their "first time" as a married couple. Ted is there, just like the first first time.
- Cool Hat: Here it's finally explained why Marshall was wearing a hat for the reception, as it turns out that Lily managed to get it from a gardener. Marshall then points out that they didn't think of this before suggesting an authentic native american headdress.
- Deus ex Machina: After the gang realizes that the Wedding was ruined from the start, Ted suggests Lily and Marshall to have their real Wedding like they actually intended, with just the five of them in the outdoors. A gardener happened to have a hat they borrowed to cover Marshall's head and a random guy with an accoustic guitar just happened to be playing.
- Hopeless Suitor: Scooter, Lily's ex-boyfriend, crashes the wedding in hopes Lily will be the Runaway Bride with him. Too bad for him Lily doesn't agree.
- Shout-Out: Lily and Marshall's improvised wedding has a lot of things in common with Chandler and Monica's wedding in Friends: They are married by the most promiscuous member of the group (Barney and Joey), with their best friends, who were also a couple before that day, as Best Man and Maid of Honor (Ted and Robin and Ross and Rachel).
- Stepford Smiler: Lily said during the whole day that she wouldn't freak out by every mistake that can happen in her Wedding. She finally loses it near the end.
- Take That!: After Lily's cousin dyes Marshall's hair:Marshall: My hair! Look at my hair! She ruined my hair! I look like one of the Backstreet Boys!Barney: You totally do. And not even the good Backstreet Boys, the older, lame dance move, comeback tour Backstreet Boys.Ted: (indignant) ...the good Backstreet Boys?
- Tempting Fate: Lily was willing to accept that a Wedding can't be always perfect. Right after it, everything that can go wrong happens at the same time (Scooter crashes the wedding, Brad tackled the photographer, Marshall gets the worst haircut, her harpist was in labour, the flowers were not going to arrive until they were in the middle of the ceremony, her "special" panties were missing, etc.).
- Traumatic Haircut: Lily's cousin gives Marshall horrific highlights just before the wedding, he then flips out and shaves a chunk of his head in a panic.
- What an Idiot!: In-Universe, everyone thinks Marshall is this for shaving only a small part of his head. Oddly enough nobody ever thinks of at least shaving the rest of it.note