Marshall and Lily are happier than ever to be back together, and decide that they want the quickest wedding they can find, which happens to be in Atlantic City.
This episode provides examples of:
- An Aesop: One must face the consequences of their actions.
- Call-Back: The episode is set due to the events of the Season 1 finale.
- Continuity Nod: Marshall being good at games was established in the Season 1 episode "Game Night".
- Foreshadowing: When the judge asked Marshall and Lily if they stuck together through thick and thin, Marshall responds "I have" in a deadpan manner, hinting that he still have hard feelings with Lily leaving him for San Francisco, which exactly lead to an intense argument in the final season.
- The Gambling Addict: The episode establishes Barney as such.
- Heel Realization: Lily realizes what a self-centered coward she is near the end of the episode.
- Karma Houdini Defied and subverted. Lily decided to go through with her and Marshall's wedding despite the fact that his family and relatives will likely be wry at her for abandoning him at the altar.
- Male Gaze: Robin's "revealing" t-shirt causes Ted to be incredibly horny.
- The Place: It is exactly where Marshall and Lily's sudden wedding was suppose to happen.
- Wedding Day: Subverted. Marshall and Lily decided to not go through with their wedding.