Because he needs the money and because she wants the experience, Masaki and Yuki team up to babysit one of her neighbor's newborn child.
Lovely March contains the following examples:
- Babysitting Episode: The story focuses on Masaki and Yuki babysitting a neighbor's girl for a week.
- Bait-and-Switch: Why Masaki is in a bookstore during the prologue. He was looking up a magazine on child-rearing and everyone assumes he'd gotten Yuki pregnant.
- Bridal Carry: After Moyori faints, Masaki tries carrying her to the infirmary this way. Yuki is not pleased.
- Oh, Crap!: Masaki's face when Yuki gets angry that he has Moyori in the Bridal Carry (to take her to the infirmary) mentioned above. Perfectly depicted in a CG.
- Over-the-Shoulder Carry: Masaki switches to this after the Bridal Carry above draws Yuki's wrath. Moyori wakes up during this, finds it degrading, and beats up on Masaki until he drops her, leading to a-
- Panty Shot: Not shown to the reader, but Moyori's have a teddy bear on them.
- Reality Ensues: Yuki quickly learns just how difficult it is to care for a baby and it gives her a much-needed wake-up call on rushing in to have one of her own. Doesn't stop her from wanting one eventually though.
- Technician vs. Performer: Yuki believes strong emotional care will support raising a child, though finds that baby Ren isn't as easily pleased. Meanwhile, Masaki has studied about infant care before hand, but doesn't see the reason to invest emotionally in a babysitting job. It's not until Ren's largest tantrum because of their fighting makes them realize that Both Sides Have a Point.