...And the Beast From the Sea
Hannibal Lecter continues to pull everyone's strings from inside his cell. Following the advice of his idol, Francis Dolarhyde seeks to remove any obstacle or threat to his Becoming. And Will Graham and his family wind up in the crosshairs.
- Call-Back: As in the pilot, Hannibal calmly tells another serial killer over the phone that the authorities are onto him.
- Mythology Gag: Hannibal jokes to Will that the Red Dragon may be contacting him through "personal ads" and "admiration notes on toilet paper". That's how Dolarhyde contacted him in the book and films.
Save yourself, kill them all.
- Hannibal gives Dolarhyde his famous advice for killing Will's family, although the context is different, with 'saving' here in a spiritual rather than a physical sense.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Hannibal sics an intelligent psychopath on Will Graham's family.
- Setting Update: Hannibal hypothesises that the Red Dragon chooses his victims through social media with insecure privacy settings, which is a far more modern method than Dolaryhyde's original method: looking through home videos he developed.
- Spot the Imposter: Alana contacts Hannibal's lawyer and ascertains he hasn't been in contact with Hannibal, destroying Dolarhyde's cover.
- Tranquil Fury: When Will finds out about Hannibal sending Dolarhyde to murder his family, he is full of this when he confronts Hannibal about it, even dropping a Precision F-Strike.