- "An Apple a day keeps the Doctor Away!"
Airdate: March 10, 2000
"Stayin' Alive" is the tenth episode of the first (internet) season of Happy Tree Friends.
Petunia and Giggles are having a tea party until they are interrupted by a Disco Dan bear named, well, Disco Bear entering the scene. He begins to show off his dance moves, but this leaves the girls unimpressed. Disco Bear approaches Giggles, who thinks he wants her cookie. He ends up taking her hand and begins to dance with her. All seems well until Giggles is sent spinning towards the tea party table, causing her to slam headfirst into her tea kettle. The kettle being stuck in her head, combined with hot tea, causes her to scream and jump in agony. Disco Bear misinterprets this as a dance move and begins mimicking her. Petunia, noticing the situation, begins to panic before Disco Bear drags her along as well. The dance sends the poor skunk into a nearby electric fence, with predictable results. The electrocuted Petunia begins to twitch as if she is performing a robot dance, which Disco Bear of course mimics. With the two girls dead, Disco Bear gives one last growl to the audience.
"Stayin' Alive" contains the following:
- Artistic License Biology: When Petunia is being electrocuted, the X-Ray Sparks show that her tail lacks a skeletal structure.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: During the closing iris, Disco Bear gives one last growl to the audience.
- Cruel and Unusual Death:
- Giggles has her kettle stuck on her head and her brain is presumed to be burned by the hot tea.
- Petunia suffers from High-Voltage Death.
- Debut Queue: Disco Bear makes his first debut in this episode.
- Establishing Character Moment: Disco Bear's Disco Dan style and his attempts at wooing girls which often lead into trouble.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Disco Bear sends Giggles off in a big twirl, but with fatal results. Not that he minds her injuries, though.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: During Petunia's X-Ray Sparks, one frame shows a tea cup in one of her eyes.
- Gratuitous Disco Sequence: Part of Disco Bear's Establishing Character Moment.
- High-Voltage Death: Petunia's fate.
- Leitmotif: Disco Bear's theme plays when he shows up. This is one of the few episodes with this.
- Off-Model: As Giggles and Petunia's back markings have yet to receive a fixed design, many of the early episodes such as this try to either depict them or not at all (the latter commonly applies to Giggles and Nutty). Here, Petunia has a jagged head marking.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Giggles and Petunia die.
- Updated Re-release: One of the early episodes to be part of "Classics Remastered" releases, which rereleases early HTF episodes in HD.
- X-Ray Sparks: Shown on Petunia when she is being electrocuted by the electric fence.