- "Wash behind your ears!"
Airdate: February 18, 2000
"Nuttin' Wrong with Candy" is the seventh episode of the first (internet) season of Happy Tree Friends.
A sweets-loving squirrel (Nutty) begins to snack on a lollipop that was attached to his head. The sugar rush causes him to laugh and jitter, dropping the rest of sweets attached to him to the ground. In need of more sweets, he comes across a vending machine filled with candy bars. He tries to use it, but the candy bar ends up getting stuck, so he attempts to pick it up by inserting his hand from the dispenser slot, only to tear his arm off. He begins to lose his mind and then starts to rock the vending machine as a last resort. The machine falls down onto him, causing broken glass shards to get stuck on his face. On the bright side, he ends up getting the candy he wanted, but on the other side, the coils then activate and rip him apart.
"Nuttin' Wrong with Candy" contains the following:
- An Arm and a Leg: Nutty loses an arm in his effort of getting the candy bar that is stuck in the vending machine.
- Artistic License Engineering: The vending machine's coil when first used in this episode is rotated wrong, meaning that the candy bar should not have been pushed forward.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Nutty gets ripped apart by the vending machine's coils.
- Debut Queue: Nutty makes his first debut here.
- Determinator: Candy bar stuck while the vending machine is trying to dispense it? Nutty will try to find a way to get it, even if it hurts himself.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Nutty's "wardrobe" in this episode is different compared to the usual set he is wearing (like in his starring role pop-up). While he still retains the small red all-day sucker on one side of his head, his colorful lollipop takes the place of the candy apple (which is nowhere to be seen here) and his candy cane is placed on the other side of his head instead of on his chest.
- Establishing Character Moment: Nutty's love for sweets and sugar-induced jittering.
- Eye Scream: The close-up shot of the coils before the Gory Discretion Shot shows one about to pierce into one of Nutty's eyes.
- Fur Is Clothing: Nutty pulls out his coin from a pocket on his fur.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Nutty's death is shown with a shot of blood pouring out from the toppled vending machine. How badly he is mangled by the coils is up to the viewer's imagination.
- Nothing Is Scarier: Thanks to the above.
- Off-Model: Nutty's tail is missing in a brief shot.
- Pun-Based Title: "Nothin' wrong with candy!"
- Running Gag: Nutty sports Handy's scowl when he becomes irritated in this episode. Marks the first time another character copying said expression.
- Updated Re-release: One of the early episodes to be part of "Classics Remastered" releases, which rereleases early HTF episodes in HD.
- Vengeful Vending Machine: The object of interest in this episode.