- "All that glitters is not gold!"
Airdate: October 3, 2004
"Hello Dolly" is the twenty first episode of the second (internet) season of Happy Tree Friends.
Petunia is pushing her baby carriage containing her teddy bear when she notices something shiny from the nearby bushes. Turns out it is the cursed idol. Petunia replaces her doll with the idol, not knowing that its presence causes two birds to fall to the ground, dead. She first passes by Pop, who is reading his newspaper, and Cub, who is playing with the fire hydrant. The idol's presence causes the hydrant to blast Cub into the wall, where he ends up as nothing more than red paste and few organs that are left (plus his hat). Next, Petunia passes by Disco Bear who is dancing to some disco music playing through his headphones. Suddenly, the music's volume raises by itself, to far more than deafening levels, causing Disco Bear's head to explode. Petunia finally arrives at her home, where she is about to sleep. Not long after turning off her lamp, a noise is heard, causing her to turn it back on. She is horrified to see her heart popping out from her body on her bed's spring. She tries pushing it back in, but more of her organs pop out stuck on springs. The poor skunk dies, then the lamp turns off.
"Hello Dolly" contains examples of:
- An Aesop: The moral refers to how something's appearance is not a reliable indicative of its true nature, which fits this episode's premise (shiny idol, deadly curses).
- Artifact of Death: The cursed idol, of course.
- Audible Gleam: The hidden idol lets out a soft "ting" sound when it shines.
- Beat Still, My Heart: Petunia has her heart pop out from her body, stuck on a bed spring, still beating. This is then followed by a few more of organs popping out the same way.
- Captain Obvious:
Doll Fact: The number 2 reason dolls never learn to walk is because people push them in strollers.Number 1 is that they are not alive.
- Regarding dolls:
Fire Hydrant Facts: Most fire hydrants don't contain fireThey contain water. Bet you didn't know that.
- Regarding fire hydrants:
- Caption Humor: One of the few episodes to have a BlurB! version.
- Cruel and Unusual Death:
- Cub's whole body is destroyed when he gets blasted to the wall by high-pressure water.
- Disco Bear's head explodes from extremely loud music.
- Petunia's organs pop out from her body, stuck on bed springs.
- A Day in the Limelight: One of the very few episodes to focus on the cursed idol.
- Gold Makes Everything Shiny: The idol, as usual.
- Kill It with Water: Cub ends up blasted to the wall by high-pressure water.
- Leitmotif: The disco music heard from Disco Bear's headphones is, of course, his theme.
- Limited Sound Effects:
- Cub's scream is reused from "It's a Snap" and "Class Act".
- Petunia's "relaxed" voice is reused from "Eyes Cold Lemonade".
- In the beginning of the episode, a part of Petunia's carriage briefly turns red.
- Due to the way Disco Bear wears his headphones, his ears, normally located higher up compared to the headphones, end up not drawn.
- Parental Obliviousness: Pop is too busy reading his newspaper to care for Cub, even when the poor bear cub ends up blasted into the wall.
- Shout-Out: This episode is named after a musical of the same name.
- Sole Survivor: Pop is the only one not ending up as the idol's victim.
- Tears of Blood: Happens prior to Disco Bear's head exploding.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Petunia, Disco Bear, and Cub die.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Expressed by... Petunia's doll, of all things.This Dolly doesn't look too happy.Maybe because his name is Dollyand he's seen Happy Tree Friends before
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Pop survives despite being near the idol.
- Your Head A-Splode: Disco Bear's death.