- "Keep your Eye on the prize!"
Airdate: September 8, 2002
"Eye Candy" is the second episode of the second (internet) season of Happy Tree Friends. Notable for winning the award for "best internet series" at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival of 2003.
Toothy's day takes a turn for the worst when he ends up tripping over a log while carrying a big lollipop. The lollipop ends up being lodged in his right eye. He pulls it out, but this results in his eye being launched into a tree branch, tied up by the optic nerve. Toothy tries to pull it back to no avail, so he tries climbing up the tree, all while enduring pain. At the tree branch, Toothy tries to reach for his eye, but his differing visions hinder him. Suddenly, a woodpecker perches near the detached eye. It then pecks the eye, inflicting more pain on poor Toothy and causing him to slip off the branch. He falls a great distance, with his optic nerve the only thing keeping him from falling further. Now Toothy tries to climb up his own optic nerve, but his hands soon slip from it, sending him back down again. This time, his brain gets pulled out along with his other eye as Toothy himself lands a short distance onto solid ground. His head is then defecated on by the bird.
"Eye Candy" contains examples of:
- Artistic License Biology: Everything related to Toothy's detached eye thanks to Rule of Funny.
- Bird-Poop Gag: During the closing iris.
- Downer Ending: Toothy dies.
- Eye Scream: The main gist of the episode. Toothy's eye socket gets jabbed with his lollipop.
- Impairment Shot: The viewer gets to see from Toothy's POV where one eye looks at the tree while the other looks at the branch where the eye is.
- Literal Cliffhanger: The optic nerve tied on the tree branch is the only thing that keeps Toothy from being splattered on the ground down below.
- Toothy is depicted with normal buckteeth throughout the episode, including his featuring role pop-up. Word of God admitted it was a mistake as they forgot that he was not supposed to have them.
- The tree gains an additional higher branch as shown during the Impairment Shot even though it was shown earlier that the eye landed on the highest branch.
- Running Gag: This episode will start the series-wide gag of Toothy constantly suffering from eye injuries.
- Shout-Out: The woodpecker depicted in this episode resembles Woody Woodpecker.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Toothy died.
- Updated Re-release: One of the early episodes to be part of "Classics Remastered" releases, which rereleases early HTF episodes in HD.
- Your Size May Vary: The tree shrinks in size when Toothy starts falling.