"Following their apprehension of the Kallusian fugitive Altru on Knowhere, the Guardians of the Galaxy learn about Star-Lord wanting to celebrate Christmas upon Cosmo reading his mind as well as his bad Christmas experience with the Ravagers. When they discover that their employer is a despot named Neeza and that Altru was right about him, the Guardians of the Galaxy take a page out of A Christmas Carol in order to set the superstitious Neeza straight and get the Kallusian civilians out of bankruptcy."
Tropes featured in the episode:
- Body Sled: Upon discovering that their craft is too heavy, Groot turns himself into a sled so Star-Lord, Drax and Gamora can ride on him to lighten the load for Rocket, driving the craft with the treasure.
- Crappy Holidays: Star-Lord's Christmases with his mom were very happy ones. When he was 8 he wanted a sled, but then he was abducted by the Ravengers who gave him a terrifying slug creature instead, just for their own amusement. Star-Lord hasn't been a fan of Christmas ever since.
- Critical Research Failure: The other Guardians research Christmas, but get their wires crossed...
Drax: According to my research, Christmas is about worshipping an evergreen that goes by the name of "Carol." Also something about a fat bearded man in a hoversled powered by underfed moombas.
Rocket: Yeah, well, according to this Terran broadcast I picked up, it's about spectrals creeping into your bedroom and scaring the krutack out of you.
- Dreaming of a White Christmas: It is snowing on Kallu. Other than Star-Lord, none of the Guardians have encountered snow before.
- Drives Like Crazy: Drax, apparently.
Star-Lord: Either Rocket's been taking driving lessons from Drax, or they're in trouble.
- Exposed to the Elements: Neither Drax or the tank-topped clad Gamora react to the cold snowy Kal, although the fur-covered Rocket finds it very cold.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Neeza's attack/guard creature is named... "Precious".
- Goofy Print Underwear: Star-Lord.
- Sarcasm-Blind: Drax, as per usual.
Drax: [to Gamora] You are not the Kallusian.
Gamora: What gave you the first clue, Drax?
Drax: Probably your green skin. Or your weapon, or your female proportions.
- True Meaning of Christmas: Subverted:
Rocket: Now, this is what Christmas is all about. Takin' stuff!
- Yet Another Christmas Carol: Rocket gets the idea to scare Neeza after watching an Earth broadcast of a production of A Christmas Carol. However, subverted as Neeza likes the idea.
Star-Lord: You'll revisit every choice that turned you into the universally despised scum you are.
Neeza: (scoffs) Is that all? When do we leave?