After some parolees go missing, Nick is drawn into a case with a Grimm twist; a creature fight arena. While helping out Nick, Monroe is captured and put into the ring, Nick is the only one who can save him.
This episode provides examples of:
- Androcles' Lion: The episode seems to be setting up a situation similar to the Aesop after Monroe helps pull a nail from the hand of a gladiator shortly before they are set to fight each other. But the gladiator shows no compunction about killing Monroe and probably would have done so had it not been for Nick's intervention.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Nick and Monroe.
- Electric Torture: How the Lowen Games' overseers prep combatants.
- Foreshadowing: Monroe jokes about how bad it would be to be attacked with a morning star. Guess what happens...
- Gladiator Games: The Lowen Games. Most Lowen consider them a bad reminder of their past, but Leo Taymor is interested in bringing them back.
- Meaningful Name: Leo Taymor.
- Scarily Competent Tracker: The first fifteen minutes of the episode exhibit Nick showing off his tracking skills, probably something police detectives have to brush up on in the Pacific Northwest.
- Sinister Minister: Renard employs a Wesen version to execute Taymor.
- Super Strength: It's revealed that Grimms possess superior strength than that of a normal human, allowing them to go toe-to-toe with Wesen if need be.
- To Serve Man: The workers at the Lowen Games serve the participants the flesh of dead participants.