A heavy-assault multi-ped tank runs amok, under the control of an unknown hijacker using the "recognition code" of the tank's designer, Takeshi Kago, who died a week earlier. After going on a destructive spree at the testing facility, the tank heads towards the urban area of Niihama. Section 9 is called in to stop the tank, as no terrorist group has claimed responsibility, and the JSDF refuses to involve itself unless terrorism is the clear motive. Saito attempts to snipe the tank, but is thwarted due to the tank's capability to link into the same satellite Saito is using to aim.
Meanwhile, Togusa and Ishikawa interview the tank's co-designer, Toshio Ooba. After some questioning by Togusa, Ooba reveals the identity of the tank's hijacker: Takeshi Kago, the original designer. After Kago's death, Ooba linked Kago's brain to the tank's AI, effectively putting Kago in complete control of the tank. Ooba further reveals that Kago's possible motive may be to avenge himself upon his parents; he had serious medical problems, but his parents refused to allow him to get a cyberbody or even a cyberbrain due to their religious beliefs.
Kago's destination is his parents home, and Section 9 tries to stop him before he gets there. They are unsuccessful, and Section 9 is forced to battle Kago; in the end, they disable the tank and Kusanagi short-circuits Kago's brain. However, the Major discovers a split second before she does so that all Kago was trying to do was show his parents his new steel body.
- Ambiguous Situation: Was Kago out for revenge?
- Dodge the Bullet: The tank is able to dodge a sniper round from Sato by hacking the satellite he's using to aim the rifle.
- Loophole Abuse: Kago's parents forbid him for using cybernetics to save his life, but that doesn't mean he can't do so after he's dead.
- Male Gaze: There's a gratuitous shot of the Major's ass as she climbs out of her tank.
- Spider Tank: We see them being used to their full potential in a tank vs. tank Chase Scene.