After an inspection, Hermes decides that the most inefficient employee is... himself, for spending too much time inspecting his idiotic co-workers instead of getting real work done. An encounter with psychotic robot Roberto inspires him to improve his efficiency by having robotic parts implanted. However, it doesn't take long for him to go too far...
This episode has examples of:
- Angrish: Bender is reduced to gibbering upon Fry complimenting Hermes' new shiny metal ass.
- Back-Alley Doctor: Hermes visits a clinic accessed by, of course, a back alley.
- Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce: LaBarbara's curried goat is so spicy that a spilled drop eats its way through the floor of Judge Whitey's apartment, Sal the Surly Delivery Man's stomach, and to Robot Hell, scalding the Robot Devil. Hermes, however, thought it needed more hot sauce after a taste. And apparently a lifetime of his wife's cooking has made his skin so spicy that when Roberto eats a peeling, he melts.
- Chekhov's Gun: Hermes' discarded body parts, collected by Zoidberg to slowly reassemble him as he continues to upgrade his robot body.
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: The crux of the plot.
- Did You Think I Can't Feel?: Zoidberg really lays into Hermes for the way he treats him. However, he thinks that he and Hermes are Vitriolic Best Buds, so whether or not he means it is unclear.
- Even Evil Has Standards: The cyberdoc will implant anything except a robot brain.
- Fanservice: Leela and Amy showering together. Leela pleads with Fry to rub her new scented body oil on Amy and herself..
- Ignore The Fanservice: ..but Fry is too busy trying to eavesdrop on a conversation between Hermes and Bender.
- Killed Off for Real: Roberto is executed, his brain is transplanted into Hermes' robot body. Then the body is melted down, putting Roberto down for good.
- Nice Guy: Zoidberg, throughout the entire episode. From that start he tries to talk Hermes out of getting more implants, and winds up saving the day and bringing back the real Hermes.
- One-Winged Angel: Roberto, now plugged into Hermes' super upgraded robot body, is bigger and more powerful than ever.
- Pregnancy Scare: This is exploited by Hermes Conrad's wife LaBarbara. When Hermes is depressed over getting fired, LaBarbara tells him that she is pregnant and that he isn't the father. After her husband panics, she assures him that she isn't pregnant and only said so to help him realize that losing his job isn't so bad when compared to an unexpected pregnancy.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: Disguised as a playful zinger. Zoidberg gives Hermes both barrels at the end of the episode, telling him he doesn't deserve La Barbara, or his friendship.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Zoidberg takes Hermes' insults as a sign of their friendship (It's entirely one-sided). When Cyber-Hermes blows him off, That's when Zoidberg realuzes that something's wrong.
- Wham Shot: After the crew digs up a robot brain from the graveyard, the wind blows the foliage over the headstone away— and it's Roberto's grave.