The Planet Express crew uncovers an ancient Martian calendar (that looks suspiciously like the one the Mayans created) that predicts that the world will come to an end in the year 3012 (which happens to be the current year).
- Always Need What You Gave Up: After it's revealed that the solar flare is going to hit Mars instead of Earth, Zapp tells everyone to head back to the ship...only for Kiff to mention that he had used it to make the memorial statue.
- An Arm and a Leg: Fry and Leela both get an arm ripped off when the former tries to save the latter from being stranded on an exploding Mars. Their severed arms end up holding hands while drifting through space forever, explaining the title.
- Apocalypse How: Class X. The solar flare is predicted to destroy the planet it hits, but said planet manages to stay intact.
- Artistic License Physics: When Mars is passing by Earth, neither planet's gravity affects the other, and only kicks in if an object happens to be closer to one planet than the other.
- Brick Joke: Leela asks how Fry got her a ticket on the evacuation ship, to which he says a magician never reveals his secrets, except the Great Revealo, prompting a disdainful remark from Zoidberg. Later, the Great Revealo himself appears at the opening of the new city, to tepid applause.
- Call-Back: While panicking on Mars, Scruffy can be seen carrying Washbucket around lovingly.
- Explosion Propulsion: The solar flare sets the methane under the Martian soil alight, creating a plume of fire that sends the entire planet careening towards Earth.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Fry gives up his chance to escape to Mars so that Leela can do so, and stays behind on Earth with Bender. It ends up getting subverted when it's revealed that Mars was the world that was really ending.
- Mile-High Club: Leela asks Fry if he would like to join the balcony club, meaning the same thing. They do start until Amy interrupts them, much to their dismay.
- Pre-Climax Climax: When it looks like the world was going to end and there is no way to escape, Fry and Leela attempt to spend their last moments this way. Amy lampshades this when she bursts in, saying "Stop the end of the world sex!".
- The Reveal: The solar flare isn't going to hit Earth, but Mars... which the cast just spent the entire episode evacuating to. Oops.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: When it looks like the Earth was doomed, everyone with a spaceship tries to do this, only to find the electromagnetic waves of the solar flare render the ships inert.