An accident with the Nimbus's holoshed results in Kif getting pregnant. As Kif's "smizmar", Amy is named the mother of his children, and she starts to panic from the responsibilities of parenthood.
- An Axe to Grind: The weapon of choice for real simulated evil Lincoln.
- Bad Mood Retreat: The Angry Dome, in which professor Farnsworth retreats after being offended by a question from Amy.
- Behind the Black: Somehow no one notices Zoidberg in the Maternifuge until he gets ejected from it.
- Berserk Button:
Professor: We could but we won't! It's a spaceship, dammit, not a prom limo! Oooh, if anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome!
- The Professor gets incredibly irate at Amy suggesting the crew take a detour just to drop her off at the Nimbus.
Bender: What's the deal!? Just when I thought I'd figured out you biological creatures, it's something else! Lemme at 'im! [He goes for Kif and everyone restrains him.] Come over here, Kif! You-!
- Bender loses his rag at Kif for getting pregnant, because he didn't know Kif could do that.
- Bizarre Alien Reproduction: Kif's species (it's never stated if they have genders or not) becomes "receptive" by being in love with someone, who they call the smizmar. When they are "receptive" they take the DNA from the first person that touches them in any way, and use that to become pregnant. The offspring then go through a very long tadpole-like phase in a swamp. Regardless of the biological parent (Leela in Kif's case), the smizmar (Amy) is considered the "true" parent by their culture.
- Call-Back: The term 'smizmar' was used in "Raging Bender".
- Call-Forward: Leela gives Kif and Amy the basket her parents left her in at the orphanarium. The next episode would feature Leela discovering her past and meeting her parents for the first time.
- Changed My Mind, Kid: While Amy bails when the pressures of eventual motherhood get to her, she comes back at the last minute for the birth.
- Chekhov's Gun: Amy's party-board, which is introduced at the beginning of the episode, then ruined by Leo and Inez. Amy manages to use the redesigned party-board to get to the spawning ground.
- The Ditz: Zapp Brannigan doesn't know how anyone gets pregnant.
- Hellish Horse: Spirit the Pony, after the Holo-Shed malfunctions.
- Here We Go Again!:
- "Right-o, gents, it's another simulation gone mad, so murder and mayhem, standard procedure."
- After nearly killing everyone trying to stop the simulations, Zapp decides he needs to relax on the Holo-Shed.
- Holodeck Malfunction: It's one of these that leads to the accident that causes Kif's pregnancy.
- I Want Grandkids: Amy's parents are indifferent to how Kif got pregnant, they are just happy they have grandchildren.
- Legion of Doom: The rogue Holo-Shed programs, including Professor Moriarty, Jack the Ripper, Attila the Hun and Evil Abraham Lincoln.
- Let's Mock the Monsters: When the crew is faced with a giant froad, Bender just insults it. "What's that big ugly thing? A frog, a toad, or your momma?"
- Major Injury Underreaction: Dr. Veins McGee says the crew is fine... aside from a few broken bones, some internal hemorrhaging and a partially barfed up heart.
- Mr. Seahorse: Kif Kroker's species can be impregnated by absorbing genetic material through touch when experiencing deep emotions.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Zoidberg does this to himself at Kif's baby shower.Fry: Everybody we invited is here.Zoidberg: Also Zoidberg!
- Noodle Incident: Zapp refers to one involving one of his previous uses of the Holo-Shed.Kif: The Holo-Shed's on the fritz again! The characters turned real!Zapp: Damn! The last time that happened, I got slapped with three paternity suits!
- Perspective Magic: Kif tries to gives Amy the moon on the holodeck display, but he's too weak to budge it and ends up hanging from it.
- Tempting Fate: Kif says the holo-shed usually works, except when it doesn't, but so long as that doesn't happen, they'll be fine. You can probably guess what happens immediately after he says this.
- There Is a God!: Kif invokes the spirit of this upon learning Zapp didn't provide the DNA for Kif's offspring.Farnsworth: Nor is Captain Brannigan!Kif: [sotto voce] Oh thank you, merciful God!
- They Called Me Mad!: Even the Professor laughed at himself when he invented the maternifuge, "but I guess I showed myself!"
- Wham Shot: Amy being thrown out of the maternifuge, leaving the only one left inside as Leela.
- When Things Spin, Science Happens: The Maternifuge, which determines who's the genetic mother by spinning everyone inside it, kicking out those who aren't.
- You No Take Candle: From Attila the Hun.Attila: Stop! No shoot fire-stick in space canoe! Cause explosive decompression!Zapp: Spare me your space-age technobabble, Attila the Hun!