As Valentine's Day approaches, Fry and Amy start dating after discovering that they think the same way about "stuff and junk". However, Fry soon feels things are moving too fast, and plans to break up with Amy during their picnic on Europa. Things get complicated when Dr. Zoidberg crashes their car during the date, severing Fry's head. Fry must spend the next few days with his head transplanted onto Amy's shoulder while Dr. Zoidberg fixes his body.
Meanwhile, Bender uses the upcoming holiday to get rich quick by starting a blind dating service after getting fined for breaking anti-pimping laws.
- All Planets Are Earthlike: Done for laughs, when Mercury, with its oceans of lead, is habitable enough to drive across, provided you keep the cover up.
- Blatant Lies: Victor and Malfunctioning Eddie aren't happy that Amy keeps offering higher prices for their cars. Not happy at all.
- Can't Live Without You: After Fry is critically injured in a car crash, his head is attached to Amy's body to make sure he survives until his body is healed.
- Chekhov's Gun: Bender's malfunctioning ass comes back at the end of the episode.
- Comically Missing the Point:
- As they're driving across Mercury, Fry and Amy both do things that increases the likelihood of getting them stranded.
- After having broken up with Amy, Fry thinks he's back in the game. Amy points out that while his head's on her body, he's likely only going to attract one kind of woman. It takes Fry a moment to realize what she means.
- Zapp clearly doesn't realize his date is a cross-dresser.
- Description Cut: Bender starts thinking of his first scheme, something supposedly cunning and devious. Cut to him standing in front of a judge being fined $500 for attempted pimping.
- Fake-Out Fade-Out:Fry: Listen, Leela. Thanks for rescuing me last night.Leela: Anytime. I actually enjoyed hanging out with you.Bender: Yep, everything worked out great thanks to good old Bender.Leela: Come on! It's not like you intentionally set us up with bad dates so we'd spend Valentine's Day together.Bender: Didn't I, Leela? Didn't I? (winks)(Iris Out)Leela: No, you didn't! You just rounded up a bunch of stiffs at the bus station and pocketed all our money.
- Fanservice: Amy (with Fry's head) in lingerie before the date.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: Victor does one of these when Amy mentions she's rich. He then shoves it back down.
- Friends with Benefits: Fry and Amy for a short time. They actually like it better without the "benefits" part.
- Get Rich Quick Scheme: Bender uses the upcoming holiday to make money by starting a blind dating service (after his foray into pimping gets him busted due to anti-pimping laws). Both Fry and Leela end up using it.
- Honest John's Dealership: Malfunctioning Eddie's, although ironically, he's in even worse shape than the stuff he's selling.
- Incredibly Lame Fun: Leela manages to save Fry from having to witness Amy having sex with her date by getting him talking about investment banking, which kills Amy's mood.
- Innocent Innuendo: When the recovery truck worker arrives on Mercury, he finds Amy's car windows steamed up. Instead of having sex, however, Fry and Amy are merely playing cards. While they're getting towed they decide to have sex.
- Insane Proprietor: Malfunctioning Eddie, the robotic car dealer. In a later episode ("Insane in the Mainframe"), it turns out that Malfunctioning Eddie's explosions are considered a mental illness and he is committed to the HAL Institute for Insane Robots.
- Insane Troll Logic: Fry, once he starts getting fed up of Amy, such as thinking she wants him for his money, or as a trophy husband.
- Losing Your Head: With Fry. Not the usual heads in jars, which is strange when you think about it, since Zoidberg could've probably removed Fry's head from Amy's body when they got back to Earth and simply put it in a jar (unless the head-in-jar technology is only reserved for celebrities and other important people of the past).
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman: Lampshaded when Fry has his head put back on his own body after spending several days on Amy's, he immediately gropes his own chest only to disappointedly say, "Aww."
- Meaningful Name: When Malfunctioning Eddie says he's malfunctioning badly, he isn't kidding.
- Mistaken for Gay: Apparently common with Fry, who would really like it to stop. The Ford ThunderCougarFalconBird salesman uses averting this as a technique for selling his car.
- Overly Narrow Superlative: "Well, if it isn't my favourite head on Amy's body!"
- Sexy Discretion Shot: Double Subverted. After Amy's car runs out of gas on Mercury, she and Fry talk a bit, then look at each other seductively. Hours later (judging by the sunset), a tow driver wipes some condensation off the glass of Amy's car, revealing them... playing cards inside. Then, while the car is being towed:Amy: So while they're towing us, want to do it?Fry: Yeah! (they start making out, then duck out of view)
- Shipper on Deck: Bender set up Fry and Leela with bad dates, and winked when Leela asked if he did that so they would be together for Valentine's Day. He didn't intend to, he was just being cheap by just rounding their dates up at the bus station.
- Your Head Asplode: Malfunctioning Eddie's head explodes from sheer joy.