Fry and Bender take the Planet Express crew on a free trip they won to the Slurm Factory on the planet Wormulon, but things quickly turn south after Fry, Leela, and Bender are separated from the rest and discover the horrible secret about Slurm.
- An Arm and a Leg: Fry tries to bite his arms off at one point in order to fit through a grate.
- Artistic License Biology: To justify selling her excrement as Slurm, the Slurm Queen claims that honey comes from a bee's behind* and milk comes from a cow's behind* . Of course, she also claims toothpaste comes out of an animal's behind...
- Bad Boss:
- Glurmo treats his employees like slaves, gives them one bathroom break a day, and will rescind that if they do something he doesn't like.
- After consulting with Glurmo, Hermes contemplates firing the crew and replacing them with Grunka-Lunkas at half the cost.
- Big "SHUT UP!": Bender tells the Grunka-Lunkas to "Shut the Hell up!" when they start singing the third time.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Parody: But not exactly an affectionate one.
- Crazy Memory: Invoked. After finding out the truth about Slurm, the professor tries to get the company shut down. However, Fry can't bear the fact that Slurm will be discontinued, so he claims "gramps is telling crazy stories again". The professor retaliates by saying that Fry is actually his uncle from the year 2000, making him sound even more crazy.
- Expy: Slurms MacKenzie is a parody of Spuds MacKenzie
- Foreshadowing: Seeing Slurms MacKenzie on TV at the start of the episode Bender says "and they say there are no heroes left", he didn't know how accurate that statement would be.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Her own subjects are loyal to her, but the Slurm Queen is clearly ill-disposed to anyone else.
- Groin Attack: Bender renders Fry sterile with the F-Ray. Fry doesn't feel anything the second time he's zapped, though.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Slurms MacKenzie sacrifices his life by partying hard for the last time to buy the others some time to escape from the Slurm Queen.
- Homage: The episode is a spoof of Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Apparently there's a soda called Soylent Cola that's made from people. The taste varies from person to person.
- Immediate Self-Contradiction: After spending the whole day looking for the golden bottle cap, Fry decides he never wants to see another Slurm can again... and immediately gets one from the fridge.
- Impossibly Delicious Food: Fry was free to escape the Slurm Queen so long as he could resist a trough of highly concentrated "Super Slurm". He manages to free Bender and Leela by dragging the trough with him.
- Mainlining the Monster: Slurm is secretly 100% slug juice. As in, it comes from a queen slug. She and her underlings have built a powerhouse corporation by marketing this highly-addictive beverage.
- May Contain Evil: Slurm is advertised as highly addictive.
- Older Than They Look: Slurms Mackenzie's party babes have been working with him for at least forty years. They sure don't look like it.
- Ow, My Body Part!: Fry says "OW! My sperm!" when he's hit with the F-Ray the first time.
- Painful Rhyme: Played for laughs with the Grunka-Lunkas and their songs.Leela: Hey, what's behind that door?
Leela: Is it the secret ingredient?
Grunka-Lunkas: Grunka-Lunka dunkity-dingredient, you should not ask about the secret ingredient!
Bender: OK, OK, we get the point!
Leela: I was just curious because of the armed guards.
Grunka-Lunkas: Grunka-Lunka dunkity-darmedguards...
Bender: Shut the hell up!
- Rattling Off Legal: The Slurm advert has a massive amount of legalese run by in Alien Language 1, stating that the competition isn't open to various animals with the word "space" in front of their name, including the "elusive space-yak."
- Rule of Three: Fry does three spit takes after discovering the secret source of Slurm.
- Science-Fiction Writers Have No Sense of Scale: The rate at which the Slurm Queen fills cans would work out to just under 30,000 cans per day, assuming she did so 24/7 with no breaks. Certainly not a number to sneeze at, but when you consider that on modern-day Earth an estimated 1.9 billion cans of Coca-Cola are consumed per day, you can see that the numbers would fall far short to supply a product supposedly popular throughout the galaxy.
- Sleep Deprivation: Slurms MacKenzie, the original party worm working in advertising for Slurm, is partied out.
- Shame If Something Happened: The basis of the Grunka-Lunka's first song.
- Special Guest: Pamela Anderson as one of the party girls.
- Take That!: Against New Coke, with Slurm Queen's plan to bring out a New Slurm that won't taste as good as the original, and then bring back Slurm Classic.
- This Is Gonna Suck:Bender: I can't see what's happening, are we boned?
Leela: Yeah, we're boned.
- To the Pain: The Slurm Queen gives one of these to Bender, Leela, and Fry.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Bender scans a hookerbot, but it turns out to be a male robot (who only has one more upgrade to go before becoming a fembot) who bitches Bender out for leering at him and reacting in disgust to the fact that she's a he.
- Warning Song: The Grunka Lunkas warn Fry and his tour group about inquiring too closely into the inner workings of Slurm production:Grunka-Lunkas: Grunka-Lunka dunkity-doo.
We've got a friendly warning for you.
The secret of Slurm's on a need-to-know basis.
Grunka-Lunka 1: Asking questions in school is a great way to learn.
Grunka-Lunka 2: If you try that stuff here, you might get your legs broke.
Grunka-Lunka 1: We once found a dead guy face down in the Slurm.
Grunka-Lunka 1: It could easily happen again to you folk.
Grunka-Lunkas: So keep your head down, and keep your mouth shut.
- Whole Plot Reference: See Charlie and the Chocolate Parody above.
- You Don't Want to Know: When the Slurm Queen brings up the origins of toothpaste.
- You Were Trying Too Hard: Fry tries to find the can of Slurm with the winning gold bottle cap inside, first by drinking can after can, then by using the professor's F-ray. After his search yields nothing, he gives up and has a can of Slurm... and starts choking on the winning cap.