- Bait-and-Switch: The episode opens with a Time Skip to Jessica and Louis attending their son's graduation ceremony from Harvard, and most of the episode focuses on Eddie potentially getting into Harvard. However, Eddie fails to get accepted due to his "helicopter parent" mom, and when the scene's revisited at the end, it's revealed that Evan is the graduate. Additionally, during the ceremony, Louis talks about his mother while holding a metal tube that's implied to hold her cremated remains, but it quickly turns out to just be a thermos he shakes up and passes to her.
- The Cameo: Andy Richter appears to interview Eddie for admittance into Harvard; he claims that the school usually sends an alumni, but Conan O'Brien was busy and sent Andy in his place.
- Distant Finale: This is the final episode of the series, and features a Time Skip showing all of the Huang kids as adults.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Jessica is mortified to learn that her "helicopter parenting" to make sure Eddie has a successful life may have prevented him from being accepted to Harvard.
- Time Skip: The opening and ending take place years after the rest of the episode.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: All of the Huangs are shown at the graduation ceremony at the end of the episode. Evan is the Harvard graduate, Eddie is now managing Cattleman's (and states that Trent's his business partner keeping things running while he's gone), and Emery is a successful actor in commercials.
Recap / Fresh Off The Boat S 6 E 15 Commencement