- Arms Dealer: Father Larry Duff and the lads can't make the picnic because Father Williams was caught with a box of machine guns in his car.
- Ask a Stupid Question...: Ted asks Dougal if he has anything on his mind. Dougal's blank stare forces Ted to rephrase himself.
- Disappointed in You: Ted when he thinks Dougal stole the whistle.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Father Damo's rebellious attitude rubs off on Dougal and turns his relationship with Ted into one resembling a stern parent and a moody teenager.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: The angry couple at the picnic site using 'fup', 'grasshole' and 'blackstard' because swearing is against picnic site rules.
- Gun Struggle: Between John and Mary over the shotgun which, of course, goes off offscreen.
- Hypocrite: Ted says confession is sacrosanct after opening the episode by gossiping with Dougal about what he heard at confession that morning.
- Ignored Aesop: The episode ends with Dougal admitting he's learned nothing at all from the experience.
- Impossible Theft: Jack drinks two whole bottles of wine from about ten metres away in the split second they are out of frame.
- Mundane Made Awesome: The standoff between Mr Benson and Ted holding a plastic fork is played to dramatic music and action cuts.
- Pocket Protector: Averted. The whistle saved Mr Benson's grandfather from being executed by a British firing squad. Until they reloaded and shot him again.
- Reckless Gun Usage: John points his loaded and cocked shotgun straight at Ted.
- Super Hearing: Jack can apparently identify the brand, varietal and vintage of wine, just by the sound the clinking bottles make.
- Talking in Your Sleep: Dougal thinks he's playing Countdown in his sleep.
- Tempting Fate: Ted can't wait to eat Mrs Doyle's sandwiches as long as they're not egg. They are, of course, all egg.
Recap / Father Ted S 2 E 4 Old Grey Whistle Theft